Packing for a hunting trip as an elderly

No joke, 2016 I headed back to Pennsylvania to deer hunt with my family, first night at camp my prostate enlarged to the point I couldn't pee, 16 hours later I tapped out, I thought my bladder was about to burst, I never knew what agonizing pain was until then, I would have given my house away for any relief. Anyway, the hospital they got me to was in network so my insurance covered 80% of the bill. Back there I'm now known as the catheter king for as many times one was put up my privates and yanked out. Doesn't hurt to look ahead and see if a hospital in the area your going to hunt takes your primary insurance, otherwise you could be stuck with a hefty bill
I tried tournament fishing for a couple of years and had a fellow that got teamed up with me and about 10:00am he pulled out a tube and put it where it needed to go and pee'd way out in the water.I turned around and said next time warn me,I could have gone all day without seeing that!
So I know about it and he was told it would take surgery to fix it and it may not even work for long.
So sorry you had to deal with that.Just seeing it ruined my day.

I take Clif energy chews...the ones with 50 mg of caffeine. I normally have a pot of coffee in the morning. Not possible on a hunt. So i take them as i hunt. The energy part of the chews helps me and my wife keep up with the young bucks who are actually in shape...me not so much. They really work.
I generally hate instant coffee and generally hate Starbucks but if you can boil water at camp, Starbucks instant coffee packs are great.

Last edited:
Ok:
Get to altitude 3 days before hunt, older you get more you need time acclimation.
Trekking poles - mandatory!!!
Lighten your pack, you are not 30,40 or 50
Anti acid tabs
Mylanta/Pepto Bismol
Protein drinks
Propel/Gatorade electrolytes
High carb energy bars
Sleep is extra critical for us "seniors" to recover
Understand carb up in morning, protein at night
Miles are accumulative drain on us since we don't have the same stamina. Stay out for day, rest up where you hunt instead of going back to camp

Although this applies to everyone, us older hunters need to accept out limitations and not push beyond reasonable.

Also applies to everyone, if you have a specific health condition or have had serious medical risks, tell someone in your party what it is and what to do. If heart patient and carry nitrostat, explain what and how to administer it. There is no shame in health conditions and having someone prepared to deal with it can be life saving. Can be as simple as food allergies snd epi pen.

Anyone ever heard of a device that you can send messages even if there is no cell service?
Someone recommended one to me since I go way out by myself where there is zero cell service.
This muzzleloading season, I finally activated a SPOT 2 device my wife bought for me a number of years ago. It only sends pre-created text messages (part of the setup process), along with the SEND HELP button, but all send a link to SPOT and Google maps showing the location. It made her feel better when she got a nightly "Checking In - all ok" text message.

This guy has it all worked out-- camo rifle, camo uni-pod for rifle stability taped to his camo walker.
Screenshot_20220927-081422_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Actually, in all seriousness-- I saw a guy turkey hunting one time here in CO with his portable oxygen tank back pack--- he wasn't far from the parking lot or off the main trail, but he was still enjoying life and " getting it done"