Packing for a hunting trip as an elderly

Rick Richard

Use to be when packing for a hunting trip I focused on all items for the hunt such as gear, clothing, rifle, ammo and etc.. Now days the first things are Icy Hot pads, medication for current health issues, medication in the event something happens, Preparation H, athletic tape for the bad ankle/foot, urinal for the long drive, and the list goes on. Then it's back to thinking about the hunting gear. Oh well, I am still able to do it.

Anything I am missing? Please add to the list. For fun and laughs.

Last edited:
No joke, 2016 I headed back to Pennsylvania to deer hunt with my family, first night at camp my prostate enlarged to the point I couldn't pee, 16 hours later I tapped out, I thought my bladder was about to burst, I never knew what agonizing pain was until then, I would have given my house away for any relief. Anyway, the hospital they got me to was in network so my insurance covered 80% of the bill. Back there I'm now known as the catheter king for as many times one was put up my privates and yanked out. Doesn't hurt to look ahead and see if a hospital in the area your going to hunt takes your primary insurance, otherwise you could be stuck with a hefty bill

No joke, 2016 I headed back to Pennsylvania to deer hunt with my family, first night at camp my prostate enlarged to the point I couldn't pee, 16 hours later I tapped out, I thought my bladder was about to burst, I never knew what agonizing pain was until then, I would have given my house away for any relief. Anyway, the hospital they got me to was in network so my insurance covered 80% of the bill. Back there I'm now known as the catheter king for as many times one was put up my privates and yanked out. Doesn't hurt to look ahead and see if a hospital in the area your going to hunt takes your primary insurance, otherwise you could be stuck with a hefty bill
I have the opposite condition where I have to pee frequently, hence the urinal for the long road trip.

Just remember to pack medications where they are easy to find. Ibuprophen has to stay in my vest pocket, because I might not get back to camp before I need another dose. When you find yourself out jogging on a hunting trip you need extra ibuprophen. I know hunting is not about jogging, but if you get your "Icy Hot" and Preparation "H" mixed your going to go jogging about 1/2 hour into the hunt.