Pack Size

the blur

I'm torn between the Sitka 4000 & 6000. I have them both, and thinking the 4000 is better. Tad lighter, fits me slightly better, and it forces me to pack lighter.
What size pack do you guys have ?

6200 for most 5-7 day bivy hunts. You can pack "lighter" all you want, but food takes up space.

I carry two spare socks and 3 underwear, puffy and pullover fleece, and in winter or cold areas, I bring thermals for sleep. That's my only clothes, excluding beanies and stuff like that.

That rest of the gear is either kill kit/hunt related or used everyday essential gear.

I use a 3800 for day hikes. Those day hunts are last from before sun up to usually after sun down, and because I'm lighter and faster, 10 or or more miles in with large elevation gain depending on hunt and location.

I've just started to train with the empty packs. The 4000 is so much better for me. 1 lb lighter makes a difference. Can't imagine I'll fit 5 days worth of backpacking in the 4000, but I'm going guided. So the guide will make it work.

If you are going for a while and need to take everything get the bigger pack. I, at one time, did a lot of back country and used a Lowe Alpine Contour IV 90+15 don't worry about the 4000 to 6000 for weight, unless you are trekking many miles and at altitude. When we would do an expedition we would even cut out the labels on our underwear and weigh everything to the gram.
Back pack was 80#s and sled 70#s. Could have enough for over one month.
Depending on what & where you are going, I suggest getting a pack and putting the weight you will be carrying and finding some really steep hills. Then find a big truck tire and put a rope through it, tie it to your loaded pack and drag it behind you. Do several miles every day uphill for a few months to get in shape.
Then you will have the endurance to have a Back Packing trip and when all is done you will and can say you had the experience of a lifetime and possibly a Trophy Animal to add to the trip.
DO NOT UNDERSTAMITE your ability to do a Pack Hunt for a week! (or even several days) All depends on if you are going it alone or havening a Guide bring most equipment.
If you want to talk about Back Woods Traveling send me a PM.
Thanks
Len