Need Advice for a New Sheep & Goat Pack

You've gotten lots of good advice on pack brands so I won't add to that list. I currently run a Stone Glacier and have been very happy with it. What I will say is a 10 day hunt is a LONG hunt so buy a bigger bag than you think you need. I would be looking in the 5500 cu in range as a minimum. Yeah, you'll hear some guy tell you he can do 10 days out of his 3000 cu in pack, but I'd have my doubts. Goat country can be some of the steepest, nastiest terrain out there and I wouldn't want anything strapped to the outside snagging on brush, tearing holes in sleeping bags etc, because I didn't have room to get it inside my bag. The weight difference on actual bag size will be minimal and even a large bag will cinch down pretty small when all the capacity isn't needed. Also, most bags can be swapped out on the frames so you could run a 6000 cu in bag for your goat hunt and purchase a smaller bag later if you decided you wanted something different for day hunts.
I agree with Blacktail! I used a 7200 cu ICON Pro Kuiu bag on my last two backpack sheep hunts. The bigger sacks are easy to strap down but sure come in handy on a long hunt!

You've gotten lots of good advice on pack brands so I won't add to that list. I currently run a Stone Glacier and have been very happy with it. What I will say is a 10 day hunt is a LONG hunt so buy a bigger bag than you think you need. I would be looking in the 5500 cu in range as a minimum. Yeah, you'll hear some guy tell you he can do 10 days out of his 3000 cu in pack, but I'd have my doubts. Goat country can be some of the steepest, nastiest terrain out there and I wouldn't want anything strapped to the outside snagging on brush, tearing holes in sleeping bags etc, because I didn't have room to get it inside my bag. The weight difference on actual bag size will be minimal and even a large bag will cinch down pretty small when all the capacity isn't needed. Also, most bags can be swapped out on the frames so you could run a 6000 cu in bag for your goat hunt and purchase a smaller bag later if you decided you wanted something different for day hunts.
Very good advice.

I've got the MR metcalf and the new MR pop up 38. I wouldn't hesitate to take either anywhere. Handles big loads great and are rock solid. Any of the names mentioned are awesome packs, but we are all built differently. I would advise trying on every pack you can. Also will add it doesn't matter what pack your strapped to, if your not in shape it's gonna be hell. Sheep/goat country is as tough as it gets especially day after day. Get a good solid pack that fits your needs and get in shape.

First, I hope that with the covid19 pandemic you will still be able to go.
I have only owned Kifaru and now a Mystery Ranch Marshall. FEIW, the load shelf concept on the MR works. I loaded a 40 lb salt bag using the load shelf vs in the bag all strapped down tight. The shifting that occurred inside the pack vs the shelf was very noticeable with various postures.
MR packs have user adjustable frame fit.
Several users said made is USA but some of their packs are made in the Philippines and Vietnam Nam to be clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.