Idaho Sheep/Goat Info Needed

RH300UM

I recently moved to Idaho.
I am planning to hunt goats and sheep if I am lucky enough to draw a tag.

I need any info that can be given as to the units to apply for and direction to gather more info.

I am not afraid to hike. I have horses and mules to help haul if needed.

All info is welcome.

It sounds like you're in for a great adventure!
Is the place down the road from you for sale?

Good luck with getting the tags.
Ben

I recently moved to Idaho.
I am planning to hunt goats and sheep if I am lucky enough to draw a tag.

I need any info that can be given as to the units to apply for and direction to gather more info.

I am not afraid to hike. I have horses and mules to help haul if needed.

All info is welcome.

Are all the Goat & Sheep Tags in Idaho draw only?

Not the ones I put in for :) .

The best place to get information on the drawing odds is.

Idaho Fish and Game - Controlled Hunt Drawing Results

The used to have a hunt results page to but I don't know where it is now that they rearranged their web. Page.

For bighorn sheep 27 and 28 have the best drawing odds but basically the poorest success. Those are the ones I usually put in for. 28 is slightly more accessible especially on horse back. I also have horses 27 around the bighorn crags 27-2 I think is were I usually put in access is limited a lot of it would be on back packing. Around Salmon has higher success but worse odds. I don't know much about Goats but I have seen a lot of them around Hells Canyon Dam.

Good Luck Drawing.

Not the ones I put in for :) .

The best place to get information on the drawing odds is.

Idaho Fish and Game - Controlled Hunt Drawing Results

The used to have a hunt results page to but I don't know where it is now that they rearranged their web. Page.

For bighorn sheep 27 and 28 have the best drawing odds but basically the poorest success. Those are the ones I usually put in for. 28 is slightly more accessible especially on horse back. I also have horses 27 around the bighorn crags 27-2 I think is were I usually put in access is limited a lot of it would be on back packing. Around Salmon has higher success but worse odds. I don't know much about Goats but I have seen a lot of them around Hells Canyon Dam.

Good Luck Drawing.

I was just curious as to over the counter options in the L48. Seems to be slim pickens...

High Country, Don't give up on the over the counter tags. I purchased a montana unlimited tag this year, around $800, and had a great time hunting. You just have to remember that more than likely it will not be a first season success. I did not get a sheep this year, but I covered alot of country backpacking for 8 days and really learned the country. The last couple of days spotted some ewes and non legal rams. I will have a better chance next year and I am already making plans to return. If I am not mistaken Idaho only allows you to apply for one of the big 3 , moose, sheep, goat, this is why the drawing odds are better than other states.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.