Pacific Tool and Gauge Alternatives

Well despite some peoples superior attitude, some of us expect to receive the product we pay for. Hence why I wanted to know if there are any other reputable places to get bolts made to a custom diameter.

Re:Alternative

I am having bolt parts made here in North Carolina. Savage bolt bodies and bolt heads will be first. Then Remington 700 Short and Long action with either Sako style or M-16 style extractors. It is not feasible to do them ones and twos and still very expensive to make them 100 at a time. I will also have bolt handles in several configurations.

The Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stops (Generation II) should be available by August. The Generation II MARS will be a nine piece set not an eight piece set, They will be made of Stainless Steel and Melonited. The will have a six o'clock vent in the longer bodies and have dual set screws. The best thing is they are not made in
Oregon.

Be advised there is a Reamer Maker (Thompson Grinders) in Wisconsin that by August will have a new CNC tool grinder in operation. They have been making Carbide reamers for years so they know the ins and outs of reamer grinding.

How is that for Good News..

Nat Lambeth

Sounds like very good news, I wish you the best of luck in that venture. I will be looking forward to your new products.

Re: Alternative

I am having bolt parts made here in North Carolina. Savage bolt bodies and bolt heads will be first. Then Remington 700 Short and Long action with either Sako style or M-16 style extractors. It is not feasible to do them ones and twos and still very expensive to make them 100 at a time. I will also have bolt handles in several configurations.

The Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stops (Generation II) should be available by August. The Generation II MARS will be a nine piece set not an eight piece set, They will be made of Stainless Steel and Melonited. The will have a six o'clock vent in the longer bodies and have dual set screws. The best thing is they are not made in
Oregon.

Be advised there is a Reamer Maker (Thompson Grinders) in Wisconsin that by August will have a new CNC tool grinder in operation. They have been making Carbide reamers for years so they know the ins and outs of reamer grinding.

How is that for Good News..

Nat Lambeth

That is indeed a good news Nat!

Thanks for sharing.

Ed

PTG "customer service" is horrible. If they send you wrong products its your fault. Never theirs. And you can also send wrong products (paid ) back. Then it is okay for them. You can ask your paid correct products back but they not even answer your email. Great customer service i think. .... lightbulb If you can take another firm.

PTG "customer service" is horrible. If they send you wrong products its your fault. Never theirs. And you can also send wrong products (paid ) back. Then it is okay for them. You can ask your paid correct products back but they not even answer your email. Great customer service i think. .... lightbulb If you can take another firm.

And thats why you ALWAYS pay by credit and if you dont get satisfaction you dispute te charge on your credit and the other person bites the bullet. Unless of course you have lousy credit ratings

Well despite some peoples superior attitude, some of us expect to receive the product we pay for. Hence why I wanted to know if there are any other reputable places to get bolts made to a custom diameter.

I havent noticed anyone with a "superior attitude" here lately at least....but I do see some whiners that want things different just because they want something different. Very "adult" wouldnt you say?

You're right, I suppose it is immature to want to find a different company when the one you used doesn't provide good service. Also very adult to recommend perpetrating fraud.

I just fix the Rem bolts anymore, really have not seen any advantage to replacing when having to deal with Kiff, if someone wants it to fit and feel custom then for the same money a guy can run a custom action.

+1

Just a question, what is wrong with the factory bolt?

I have measured lots of older Remington bolt fits and found them much better than some of the brand new actions from some other manufactures.

All actions need some clearance and if head spaced properly after every thing is trued they are fine.

Like you and many others I like precision fits and after worrying over what I thought was a poor fit
on a Stevens, (The bolt was tapered .008 from front to back) after blue printing and setting the head space .0005 it shot under 1/4 MOA.

I also had a Mauser action on a 1000 yard match rifle that the bolt flopped when it was all the way
open but it was head spaced close and it was very accurate at 1000 yards.

I to have had my issues with PT&G and started doing bolt work when I could to avoid going to them.

Lots of Smiths will do extractor work or bolt face work if that is all you need and save the headache
of dealing with PT&G.

A custom bolt is nice but sometimes not worth the headache.

Good luck with your project.

J E CUSTOM

Nothing is really wrong with the factory bolt, for this particular build I am just shaving ounces wherever possible.

You're right, I suppose it is immature to want to find a different company when the one you used doesn't provide good service. Also very adult to recommend perpetrating fraud.

Not at all. When you have gone back to a maker 2-3 times for a specific matter and still dont get satisfaction...then that maker can shine it on and be dust in my rear view mirror. As far as not paying the bill (very adult to recommend perpetrating fraud.)...you had best read the paperwork that comes with your credit card statement. 100% legal and the card company wants you to so they can weed out hijackers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.