Pac-Nor barrels??

Not yet, to busy getting the 257, 6.5 and 270 off the ground first. Reamer showed up today for the 257 AM so as soon as the barrels get here, we will be running full speed.

Richard and I have discussed the larger calibers and he made me realize and correctly so, that a 30 cal would really need to out perform what is offered already buy the factory rounds and with the 300 RUM and 30-378 Wby, this will be a trick to say the least but we are kicking ideas around and when we settle on something I will post it here.

I drew up some rounds using the 300 RUM case as a parent case but they just would not offer enough over a custom built 300 RUM rifle to be practical for the public.

I do not want to reinvent the wheel just to get my name on another caliber so we will see what happens.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

so should i just go with the 300 RUM for now?? i want the rifle to be done by Nov. 05, and as slow as my 'smith is this will mean getting on the ball pretty quick. just out of curiousity, could you email me your rates to true a 700 Action, and fit a 28" Lilja 7 taper, 10 twist .30 cal barrel to it, using your preferred reamer, with you supplying the barrel. i like my gunsmith, he is a good friend, but he is kinda slow and lacks the motivation i would prefer someone to have when i am handing them that kind of money.
thanks
Daniel Ludwig

Mr. Allen , I know alot of guys here are shooting the 300RUM but I wondering what sort of accuracy can be had by this case seeing how their is only one supplier of brass , I'm by no means a fan of Remington brass.
How many loads can be had with this brass. I want ot rechamber a 28" Rock Creek barrel to a hot 30 cal but I don't realy want to spend all the money and time and barrel whear doing a 30-338 Lapua Imp
In your oppinion , what kind of velocity and accuracy could one get with a 28" Rock barrel with the RUM ? This barrel consistantly sub 1/2" groups and I get a velocity in the 2900 fps range with 180gr ballistic tips out of Lapua brass , oh its chambered for 30-06.

Baby Boy

Federal makes 300 RUM Brass, search the boards here you will see a supplier and comments about the brass. Most guys using it say it is better than the Remington Brass.

Hope this helps
Frank D

J. Jones,

That is correct that Federal is also making the brass. It is true that Rem brass is not the same quality as hulls from Norma or Lapua but they are not that bad really.

They may take a little more bench prep time but excellent performance can be had with Rem brass. You may have to sort by weight which most do anyway and do the traditional case prep proceedures.

As far as case life. I have run my 300 RUM very hard driving the 180 gr Ballistic Silvertip to 3400 fps out of the 26" factory barrel. My brass has given me at least 5 and generally 6 firings before I stopped using them because the primer pockets were getting to loose.

The RUM case head is much stronger then the standard belted Magnum case head which is one reason I decided to use the 338 RUM case for my family of high performance wildcats.

Out of a 28" barrel I would expect to see 3450 fps with a 180 gr bullet with top loads. Accuracy of the rifle would depend more on the machining then the round itself. I assure you that a 300 RUM rifle with a properly designed throat and min spec chamber in a properly fitted rifle will shoot as well as any round on the market with match quality ammunition.

The 300 RUM is a ballistic Twin of the 30-338 Lapua. The improved version may add another 50 to 75 fps but thats about it. Being able to use factory brass or cold forming cases is a huge plus in a round like this unless you use a fireforming barrel set up the same as your match grade barrel to for cases.

I have done this quite a bit. I order in a $80 A&B barrel and chamber it to the same round as my match barrel and use it for fireforming. Could care less what happens to the throat on the cheap barrel. ITs $80 well spent.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.