Pa black bear

jwall3d11

Anybody on here going after a Pa bruin? Where are you hunting and what are you carrying? I'll be on Dunbar mountain doing some stand hunting and possibly some spot and stalk. They do a lot of driving around here. I'll have my recently purchased Remington Sendero in 300 RUM topped with a Zeiss 4.5-14X44. I haven't had time to work up a load for this gun yet so I'll have some Nosler Custom Trophy Grades topped with 180 grain Partitions. Anybody else? Some pretty big bears come out of this state.

I'll be in the moshannon state forest in elk county, mostly stand hunting maybe some drives. I'll be carrying Rem. 700 in 300 win. mag. handloads topped with barnes ttsx 150 grain.

Nice that rig will definitely get the job done. I used to hunt up that way a good bit myself but I quit a few years back. Got some friends that have a hunting camp in Caledonia off of Caledonia Pike. The land we hunted was just inside Clearfield county I believe though. Good luck. Hopefully we get some snow!!!

We have a camp pretty close to Medix Run, been hunting there for 10 years now, friend of mine has gotten 3 bears in that time, I however have not gotten a shot at one. Shot a couple of big coyotes though 52 and 48 lb.

I'm heading up to Moshannon State Forest with my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. We'll be doing drives in thick stuff so the smaller gun is a benefit. The 405grn load pack a punch, but I still prefer shooting my 300WM...

-David

Haven't been bear hunting for a while, my father and i last hunted SGL #127 behind the rifle range while walking up the jeep road heard some hunters yelling and saw a VERY large black bear running straight at us my father side stepped behind a tree as not knowing we were on the road the hunters shot at the running bear missing us and the bear.
Not knowing how big the bear was BUT had a twelve inch paw print and the tages in it's ears later found that the bear weighed 658lb. two mounts before hunting season.

I wish I were there hunting bear this year, but I'm deployed. Next Fall, I hope to get back up there. I hunted SGL 207 last year; fresh snow the night before opening day, and we went four days without seeing a track. Lot of fun, but there were no bears there. I may give the same spot a try next year, or move on.

Saw 4 today on Dunbar mountain. 1 cub alone then a sow with 2 cubs. Lot's of shooting around me and my brother. A lot of people on the mountain which I think is good, get's em moving. Brother was toting a Ruger model 77 all weather in 7mm rem mag. shooting 168 grain bergers with Leupold Vari-x III optics.

Saw 4 today on Dunbar mountain. 1 cub alone then a sow with 2 cubs. Lot's of shooting around me and my brother. A lot of people on the mountain which I think is good, get's em moving. Brother was toting a Ruger model 77 all weather in 7mm rem mag. shooting 168 grain bergers with Leupold Vari-x III optics.

Buddy of mine hunted over at Quebec hollow near laurel caverns. He always sees bears but no bear and no shots yesterday. I hope Monday turns out better for him. Good luck.

Ya We Talked To A Guy That Hunted Up Around Skyline In The Morning And He Said There Wasn't Hardly Anybody Over That Way. SGL 51 Was Packed.

Went out this morning, man it was cold. 10 degrees when I got out of the truck with about an inch of snow on the ground. Didn't see any bears but saw a small track. Rear print was about the size of my hand. Still a lot of guys hunting on Dunbar Mountain this morning. No close shots though. Can't wait to here about the big ones and where they were taken. On the SGL I am hunting there was a 733 pounder shot there in 05.

My buddy hunting around State College hasn't seen anything but 1 deer and my buddy in Fayette didn't hunt today. Glad I didn't take vacation time doesn't sound too promising this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts