879 pound Black Bear taken - PA

My buddy has bears in his yard that play his with dogs but he doesnt consider them tame. This kids riding on him, petting him is urban legend. It was not tame by any means. It was an old bear in a populated area, so it learned to be less afraid of humans but it would be scared off and worse kill a human.

It's not like this guy went to the zoo and shot a bear. It was wild, traveled, mated, hibernated.
Yes it was a wild animal. Lived in the wild. BUT...
It was basically tame, they did have kids petting and sitting on him. It was hand-fed pies and such it's whole life.
This came directly from the friends of the guy that "raised" it.

Now it was raised? This story gets better and better.

I love to know where this information comes from and if there is any documentation ie pictures of this. I have friends that live there and all heard these legends but no one ever had proof besides some locals stories.

The ski resort was mad because they used it to attract visitors. All the while they illegally fed the bear.

BTW there is a tame bear where our land is at. Well over 600lbs. The neighbors kids play with him all the time. Only ate one of them.:rolleyes: Now the truth is, you can get pretty **** close to this bear, he eats the food plots of the deer and raids the garbage. The kids got within 7 yrds of this bear (by accident, they didnt know he was there) but tame is the last thing I'd call this bear. But now in town you will hear stories about a tame bear.

So until I see proof and not some old man or his friends stories. I call BS.:D

Can't access any photo posting sites from work.
Here's a caption of a picture showing Leroy leaning on the back of the bear while it eats from a pile of pies: You can see that one here: Bushkill man 'devastated' by death of bear he'd fed for years | PoconoRecord.com

"Leroy Lewis spends some quality time near his home with the bear he named Bozo. This photo was taken two or three years ago. The bear was killed Monday on the first day of archery season, by which time it had grown to 875 pounds, the largest recorded bear in Pennsylvania".

"Leroy Lewis stood in the doorway of his tiny mobile home in Bushkill on Monday evening and wept as a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer told him his beloved bear, Bozo, had been shot by a hunter.

Seventeen years of memories filled Lewis' mind as he digested the news that Bozo was dead. In those years, Lewis watched this wild animal-turned-pet grow as he hand-fed it table scraps and store-bought pies and other sweets.

I can't find the other pictures and stories about the kids. I read them and saw them. I also had pictures sent to me on my cel phone that I deleted.

I don't have the time to research it now and wouldn't just for your benefit anyway. So to believe me or not is your prerogative. But, Do your own research before you call BS

I just told you what I KNOW and saw with my eyes.

All I can say is if I'd have figured out this bear's "routine" I'd have been waiting for it.

When I go out scouting for bear pre-season, isn't that what I'm doing? Trying to establish the animal's routine? Even the PA Game Commission, who can be QUITE unreasonable at times, has said the guy did nothing wrong. And believe me, if they could have found a game violation they would have not hesitated to charge the hunter.

As far as this bear being "tame" well, that's a joke and most of you guys probably know it. It's "tame" until somebody who has been stupid enough to feed it (illegally, by the way) runs out of food and the bear has decided it's not full yet so it starts acting in an aggressive manner. It's "tame" until it feels threatened and starts to get unreasonable.

And duh, how does the "fact" that the bear had been handfed somehow make it off limits for hunting? Ahh...last time I checked farm kids have been feeding, sometimes by hand, farm animals, e.g., pigs and calves, that are looked after and then are what?...can we say slaughtered? Seems a bit hypocritical, if not laughable, to me.

As far as old Leroy Lewis is concerned, well... he needs to get over it. I see an incredibly (to me) alarming trend of people becoming overly attached to every form of animals from pets to wildlife. This attachment seems to be dulling their minds. As they say, there's no fool like an old fool. While I've had pets that meant a lot to me, that's all they were...pets. Not members of my family, extended or otherwise.

Sorry if I'm coming across strongly but I'm tired of people, hunters no less, of dragging this guy through the mud. Plus I haven't had my pet Golden Retriever "Sam" make me my morning cup of coffee yet. :)

Last edited:
Well, If this fella was truely a meat hunter only and his family was starving I might understand. But with the bear being known to be fed by humans and you scout out his route to billy bobs house where he dines at 530 pm sharp, I think that is pretty weak. I personally would not have went public about killing the bear if that were the case. I would be hanging my head low, walking the walk of shame, and I know my hunting buddies would be disgusted by me for that. Fair game Fair chase. 17 years of being fed by humans is not fair chase to me. I guess that shows you what lengths people will go to to get a trophy or a kill. Just like the guy that shoots out of the truck or shoots animals on other peoples property just to get the "big one". If you know an animal is some what tame anyways, why are you trying to hunt it? You know, SOME people always have to take the easy route and that shows their true character.

Last edited:
I wonder how the meat is on a 17yr old bear? Of course it was pie fed and probably the only bear meat that wasnt lean. I'd still be happy with that meat in my freezer and a rug on my floor.

I would of bonked it in a heart beat. Thats like not shooting the golf course buck when he acidentally walks across your property heading to the golfcourse.

Let's see...the people who FED the bear thus helping it to GROW to 879 pounds and thus making it a more ATTRACTIVE target are now moaning because somebody drilled it? Oh that's well and truly funny. Those people refuse to see their own duplicity in this matter.

I didn't see anything in the papers where the guy said he was a meat hunter. So, if he's not a subsistence hunter OF COURSE he's going to shoot the biggest bear around. Wouldn't any of you? I know I would. Heck, if I'd have had that bear in my gunsights and the gun would have malfunctioned I'm thinking I might have pulled out my hunting knife and wrassled it for a bit. Bet that bear wouldn't have been so "tame" then!

I'm also not going to sit around thinking to myself "I wonder how that bear got so big?" Nope, I'm thinking of how I'm going to get it out of my hunting area after I've drilled it.

I live in Pennsylvania and the game laws state you can shoot ANY bear ANY size. There are a few conditions to that law but overall you get my point. Now curiously, I would NOT shoot a small bear. I've seen bears that were taken that frankly, I'd be embarrassed to have shot. After all, a man's gotta' have a little self-respect.

Let's see...should I shoot a small bear or should I shoot a really really big bear? A bear that some dumba$$s overfed. What to do? What to do?

And one last thing, I'm all for fair chase. I wouldn't go on a canned hunt if I won one in a contest. I'm also for ethical hunting. But I can't see how this guy taking advantage of a situation when no one else would, or where no one else was smart enough to do so and doing it LEGALLY, is wrong in any way shape or form.

I know we all have our differences of opinion on this. Respect mine and I'll respect yours.

Sam's making me lunch now, gotta' go.

Last edited:
Let's see...the people who FED the bear thus helping it to GROW to 879 pounds and thus making it a more ATTRACTIVE target are now moaning because somebody drilled it? Oh that's well and truly funny. Those people refuse to see their own duplicity in this matter.

I didn't see anything in the papers where the guy said he was a meat hunter. So, if he's not a subsistence hunter OF COURSE he's going to shoot the biggest bear around. Wouldn't any of you? I know I would. Heck, if I'd have had that bear in my gunsights and the gun would have malfunctioned I'm thinking I might have pulled out my hunting knife and wrassled it for a bit. Bet that bear wouldn't have been so "tame" then!

I'm also not going to sit around thinking to myself "I wonder how that bear got so big?" Nope, I'm thinking of how I'm going to get it out of my hunting area after I've drilled it.

I live in Pennsylvania and the game laws state you can shoot ANY bear ANY size. There are a few conditions to that law but overall you get my point. Now curiously, I would NOT shoot a small bear. I've seen bears that were taken that frankly, I'd be embarrassed to have shot. After all, a man's gotta' have a little self-respect.

Let's see...should I shoot a small bear or should I shoot a really really big bear? A bear that some dumba$$s overfed. What to do? What to do?

And one last thing, I'm all for fair chase. I wouldn't go on a canned hunt if I won one in a contest. I'm also for ethical hunting. But I can't see how this guy taking advantage of a situation when no one else would, or where no one else was smart enough to do so and doing it LEGALLY, is wrong in any way shape or form.

I know we all have our differences of opinion on this. Respect mine and I'll respect yours.

Sam's making me lunch now, gotta' go.

I find it much more disgraceful the guy in Tioga shooting the bear that weighed in under 50lbs. Hell I capture it and keep it as a pet for the kids. LOL

what you guys have said goes right along with what I've heard and read . the hunter went hunting and found himself a heck of a big bear , and shot it . nothing wrong with this as far as I'm concerned . I read an article that the hunter said something like ** I was very happy when I shot this trophy bear . after getting all this crap about shooting it , I wish I wouldn't have . my trophy is tainted . ** yes , I read where the game commission calls it a legal kill .

now here is a shady hunt . Jim

Trophy-size black bear illegally killed over bait pile of pastries | Outposts | Los Angeles Times

The more domesticated this bear was-The greater the community service the man did. This story only had two possible endings, and I like this one best.
I know absolutely nothing about the circumstances surrounding this story, but I do know it doesn't take a lot of looking to find "controversy" about the ethics and sportsmanship of LONG RANGE HUNTING.
If it's not your thing fine-put energy into the aspects of the sport you like. Measure your trophies the way you want, and leave others to do the same.

My friend lost his bear last year. He moved here from WV and went hunting. His first time out for bear, he got a bear. Everything was legit. Except he was with a party and they wanted to remain hunting. He didnt get it to the weigh station until 28hrs later. Everything was fine until one of the officers kept questioning him. After 1/2 hr of this they asked him when did he taking hunter safety in PA after he moved here. Well he didnt. Didnt think he had to because he took a course when a kid in WV. Well long story short they seized the bear and fined him 1500. He appealed and got the fine reduced to 250 but still lost the bear.

I gun) an 8 pointer on our land. Between ours, my uncles and friends land we have 700 acres to hunt. Not including other neighbors. Within 5 mins of me shooting it, I had a game com on me examining the deer. The closest road is a bout 700 yards thru thick brush. He couldnt see me, so must have been walking the woods. Everything was ok but these guys are everywhere.

If PA said this bear was legit kill, it was. PA is tough on hunters.

I will not argue the legality of the kill or the fact that people should not feed wild animals. I will agree from what I have "read" it was legal. But like others have stated we all have our opinions on what is and what isn't ethical taking of game. Sorry, If I offended anyone. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.