Pa Bear season

Curious as well as I haven't heard too much. A guy at work has a family member that took a 542 pounder. My brother texted me a picture of Jim Shockley's daughter who took a 700 pounder in NC.

There's a lot of public lands down this way to hunt bears. I didn't get to go this past season due to work but 2013 I saw 4 the first day. I won't shoot sows and cubs though.

Sure, I'll elaborate on Bear hunting in PA.. I don't know about middle or western PA. but I sure as H#ll do know about eastern PA. Hunted thier since I was a kid, unless you know somebody that has land to hunt it is near impossible to kill a bear. And forget about the State Game Lands. You'll be taking your life in your own hands there. To many out of state hunters that just don't give a sh&t about anything but themselves. Think I'm kidding, call some body that hunts or goes to the rifle range in Hawley, N.E. PA. Or better yet call the N.E. PA. Game Commissioner for that area. I don't want to sound like I know everthing about bear hunting in PA. but I do know about the N.E.

That sucks, but when I go bear hunting the first thing I "hunt" for is people. If there's not people moving 'em around we don't see bears.

Sure, I'll elaborate on Bear hunting in PA.. I don't know about middle or western PA. but I sure as H#ll do know about eastern PA. Hunted thier since I was a kid, unless you know somebody that has land to hunt it is near impossible to kill a bear. And forget about the State Game Lands. You'll be taking your life in your own hands there. To many out of state hunters that just don't give a sh&t about anything but themselves. Think I'm kidding, call some body that hunts or goes to the rifle range in Hawley, N.E. PA. Or better yet call the N.E. PA. Game Commissioner for that area. I don't want to sound like I know everthing about bear hunting in PA. but I do know about the N.E.

Well im now 80 years old. I lived for 64 years of my life in Bucks co. which is S E PA. As for hunting, the Pocono area was a zoo even when i was young.
Now theres even less land in that area due to so much development.
It was an all day trip in the late 40s when i started hunting to travel to N C pa.
Now it can be done in 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on locations.
Bear season comes around only once every year. Wouldnt it be worth the extra effort to look for a new area where there are many thousands of acres of public land? The Quehanna wilderness area alone which includes parts of Clearfield, Cameron,and Elk counties, has over 50.000 acres without a single house or camp within its boarders. All open to public hunting in some of the very best bear country in PA.
And as an added bonus you get to see elk, lots of elk.
And you wouldnt even need to travel that far for lots of open land in excellent territory. Visit a local DCNR office and ask for the (free) maps.
The other option of coarse is do nothing and keep bitching.

I used to hunt bears on the Clearfield-Elk county border for 6 or 7 years in a row. I never saw a bear or elk but there was always a decent amount of shooting and activity. A buddy killed a bear and a couple more through the years missed and 1 didn't get his gun up in time, but I didn't have any luck.

yobuck, that area your from is close to Philadelphia, so I can understand your comment about doing nothing and keep bitching. And move out to BIG hunting area in Clearfield county. BIG city talk. Hunting my own back yard would not be safe from guys like you.

yobuck, that area your from is close to Philadelphia, so I can understand your comment about doing nothing and keep bitching. And move out to BIG hunting area in Clearfield county. BIG city talk. Hunting my own back yard would not be safe from guys like you.

Your right sonny, but dont worry about me in your back yard.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.