Pa. 2010 spring gobbler

top predator

there was a "boss gobbler" seen the day before and the morning of this hunt, had to have a 10+" beard and 20 ish lbs... had it in my mind to pass on all to get him, but this one along with a twin came in and presented a great shot so i took it. plus my time out is limited anymore, so i filled a tag.
Pa. spring gobbler season, first hour, first day.

SPRINGTURKEY2010STANDINGWORDED-BLOC.jpg

SPRINGTURKEY2010KNEELINGWORDED-BLOC.jpg

SPRINGTURKEY20108INCHBEARD-Copy.jpg

SPRINGTURKEY2010SPURS7-8INCH.jpg

Looks like you didn't let any grass grow under your feet. Congratulations, nice looking birds and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Can you recommend a turkey call?
I'll be up there in a week and they dont allow electronic calls.

Nice bird.
Great pictures.

I'll be in the Bloomsburg area, Columbia county. Are there a good amount of turkeys in that part of PA. do you know?

Depending on where ur huntin it could be loaded with them....I watched three the other day thru my bigeyes that made my mouth water...lol

soon as I fiure them out a bit more he will be on his way to my wall:D

HAHAHA
My Wife owns most of the walls in my house, but I still have room next to my 8 pointer for my "Trophy class" buck.

Last year, in upstate NY, near the PA border, pretty much everyone who put on camo and went into the field got a nice Turkey.
Hard to believe they were almost extinct once, like the Elk.
Both were brought back by HUNTER'S DOLLARS through license fees.

Thanks for the help, good luck.

Can you recommend a turkey call?
I'll be up there in a week and they dont allow electronic calls.

Nice bird.
Great pictures.

I'll be in the Bloomsburg area, Columbia county. Are there a good amount of turkeys in that part of PA. do you know?

well, there are birds all over the place in the northeast pa region. it's actually tough to pick a singular spot as i mentioned they are everywhere, getting to be like pigeons.

i started out using a higher pitched "sweet" sounding mouth call, although those birds reacted, they still tended to walk away. i went to the slate, once again higher pitched, no big response. went to a raspy mouth call and box, it must have been what they wanted to hear.

seems (at least that day) raspy and cackles got them in broken up with a few purrs when they got in close.

turns out the bird was actually 8.25" beard and 17.5 lbs (my scale was off by 2 lbs) and i took another measurement on the beard after i posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.