Over & Under Slug gun for wild boar

I am a slug gun fanatic, been hunting with slug guns for 30yrs.. I can tell you the retweil RWS slug is devastating on hogs... Killed tons of big boars in FL with them.
thay are very accurate aswell. shot some the other day and was impresed by there accuracy.

yeah the bennelli semi autos l have owned before like the süper black eagle 2s that l have had had been good performing guns. but the pump action süper nova that l have had jammed on me many times. the problem was the two sleds on the action that jammed in the open position. and it was a hassle to get them unstuck as thay would come off there rail.

look at this for a set up.... and look mate its got the buckshots to go with it. l can imagine you with it, takeing a spent Shell out one of the smokeing barrels and smelling the burnt gunpowder over the big hog that you have just downed :) come on mannnn. double barreld guns are cool in there own way you got to admit :)
View attachment 176046

but l still like the look of a nice over and under...
View attachment 176047

You are singing to the choir. I like the doubles best of all and the OUs even better but I have owned 2 OUs in 3.5 inch and didn't like the muzzle rise because it took to long to get back on target. The 2 & 3/4's and 3 inch didn't have this problem. and for hogs up close I trust the 3& 1/2 inch double 00 to get the job done. I have helped many friends track hogs that they wounded and always carry my shot gun for close up and uncomfortably fast ticked of hogs. Many times I only had time to point and shoot. I don't use sites because there is no time in many cases. No question that slugs have more potential energy, but 18 .33 caliber bullets traveling at 1200 ft/sec offer a lot of killing power also if you add them up.

The main reason I like the Semi Auto's is the speed and control you have when shooting heavy shot charges. My favorite way to hunt hogs is with a rifle so range/distance is not an issue. But wounded hogs take on a totally different scenario and I just like the shotgun for close up emergencies.

Different terrain, requires different solutions.

J E CUSTOM

I haven't had much luck with buckshot on hogs over a hundred fifty pounds or so. On the smaller ones it's great. I love a good double or O/U to hunt with. In hairy situations I prefer an ejector model. You can load pretty quick if you've got shells ready in the off hand. In Europe the hogs get pretty big so I'd be hesitant to use buck. The average feral hog in MOST of Texas runs under 200lbs. I've shot thousands and very very few would push 300 and it's rare to see 400. When they first started aerial hunting buckshot was all that was allowed. It was like dove hunting. You'd burn through box after box and it took multiple shots to kill them. Slugs are where it's at.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.