Over all length gauge?

Well I guess I could expect so little from Hornady.
"Jump to the rifling" is not OAL.

I advise the OP to abandon Hornady, and that method, all together.
Instead, seek a cleaning rod method for touch length.
"I" will never provide such advice just because I do not like them.
Well, I don't care for Hornady much either, but that tool actually can measure both CBTO if you use the bushing, and max OAL if you don't use the bushing and measure to the tip.
Agreed!

I have both types and have never had any issue with them in AR's and BA's. The threads are 5/16 x 36tpi.
Well, I don't care for Hornady much either, but that tool actually can measure both CBTO if you use the bushing, and max OAL if you don't use the bushing and measure to the tip.
^^^what he said^^^^^^

I've now broke TWO of the Hornady OAL gauges. Both times the threaded aluminum tip snapped off. They seem very brittle. Does anyone make a similar measuring device that's more durable?
I've broken two also, I've just learned to be super gentle with it. I wish there was a more robust tool that worked like the Hornady gage.

This sounds like OAL gauge anonymous, I too have snapped two, I use a new piece of brass and slice the neck to the neck/shoulder junction using a small thin file, pinch it a little, insert bullet long and chamber. Repeat 5 times and it gives at least as good of reading as the Hornady gauge did.

I don't know about you but I measure OAL with calipers.
This isn't a Hornady thing but a term usage issue. I bring it up because I see a growing number of reloaders (new apparently) who think OAL means touch length of cartridge.
Like they can't set book OAL without measuring land relationship, or they think they need to load into lands, or a certain distance from lands.
Maybe the merchandising has them thinking that is what everyone has to do.

In reality, if you think about it, most hunting cartridge reloaders never actually need to measure or know their land relationship, nor touch length.
They're far better to focus on full seating testing, and simply reproduce tested best CBTO.
Whatever land relationship that is initially, or later, -doesn't really matter.

This isn't a Hornady thing but a term usage issue. I bring it up because I see a growing number of reloaders (new apparently) who think OAL means touch length of cartridge.
Like they can't set book OAL without measuring land relationship, or they think they need to load into lands, or a certain distance from lands.
Maybe the merchandising has them thinking that is what everyone has to do.

In reality, if you think about it, most hunting cartridge reloaders never actually need to measure or know their land relationship, nor touch length.
They're far better to focus on full seating testing, and simply reproduce tested best CBTO.
Whatever land relationship that is initially, or later, -doesn't really matter.
I just knew what he meant and which tool. He was trying to find distance to lands. And I told him to watch a video with alternatives as well.
You are right! Many reloaders do not know the terminology.

Last edited:
Regardless of terminology misuse, What are you guys that are breaking multiple units doing with them that break them? I have a Stony point version (prior to Hornady taking it over) and I've used it a ton over the years. I just made a new case for my 6mm GT today. I've compared my older one to newer versions and I can't see a difference. I haven't ever had an instance where I was worried that I would break it.

Regardless of terminology misuse, What are you guys that are breaking multiple units doing with them that break them? I have a Stony point version (prior to Hornady taking it over) and I've used it a ton over the years. I just made a new case for my 6mm GT today. I've compared my older one to newer versions and I can't see a difference. I haven't ever had an instance where I was worried that I would break it.
The point of the gage right behind the threaded tip that screws onto the cartridge is very fragile. It's only about 90 degrees around, and if you bend it once, it will snap off when you try to straighten it.

Attachments

• E275E78E-5232-405B-94CC-8F32236BB177.jpeg
    E275E78E-5232-405B-94CC-8F32236BB177.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 27
I've now broke TWO of the Hornady OAL gauges. Both times the threaded aluminum tip snapped off. They seem very brittle. Does anyone make a similar measuring device that's more durable?
Can you explain how it gets broken? It it a measuring tool. Normally, I treat those a bit gingerly.

Well I guess I could expect so little from Hornady.
"Jump to the rifling" is not OAL.

I advise the OP to abandon Hornady, and that method, all together.
Instead, seek a cleaning rod method for touch length.
It does not measure "jump" in any way. It measures the OAL where the bullet touches the throat. If I were naming it, I would likely name it "(Relative) Max OAL Fixture". As it is a fixture which holds a "relative (modified case)" with a bullet in it to MAX (or max without interference) position so one can measure a MAX OAL with std calipers or a CBTO with another fixture set.

I've broken two also, I've just learned to be super gentle with it. I wish there was a more robust tool that worked like the Hornady gage.
Would love to know how….

See above. It seems clear to most in this discussion.

They can, but what chamber is that tuned for? What reamer? Is it same as mine? Does that number work in my gun? Some do not.

I find distance from the lands a valuable control point…or at least CBTO.

Doesn't this seating depth testing go from some range from max to another dimension? Honestly, I basically agree. Most cup n core bullets shoot great around 0.02"-0.08" off. Most monos somewhat farther away until we start talking fancy ogives which need more effort.

The point of the gage right behind the threaded tip that screws onto the cartridge is very fragile. It's only about 90 degrees around, and if you bend it once, it will snap off when you try to straighten it.
Bomberodevil explained what happens exactly. If I knew what I was doing to break them I'd do things different. My point being is this tool is very fragile and I would think it could be made with different material that wouldn't bend/break so easily.

It does not measure "jump" in any way. It measures the OAL where the bullet touches the throat. If I were naming it, I would likely name it "(Relative) Max OAL Fixture".
I agree. I call it touch length (but that's just me).
The "Jump to the rifling" is Hornady's merchandising.