Over all length gauge?

KyleC

I've now broke TWO of the Hornady OAL gauges. Both times the threaded aluminum tip snapped off. They seem very brittle. Does anyone make a similar measuring device that's more durable?

You are talking about this that the modified case screws on.

There is another method to find it with a cleaning rod if you keep breaking the Lock-N-Load® O.A.L. Gauge aluminum tube.
Read this from Ultimate reloader. I can also give you the other tool name when I get back home next week

I broke mine and moved on. Found it was a PITA anyway. Fireforming the cases, the sizing them just right, and tapping the cases was no fun either. (owned the tap)

This method requires no special tools:
Seat a bullet long polish the jacket with extra fine steel wool and chamber it. There will be evenly spaced rectangles made by the lands. Seat a bit deeper and repeat. Eventually the engraving marks become squares then rectangles in the opposite direction, then they will disappear. Not hard to figure out the kiss spot. Then it is just a matter of using a comparator to find out the jump a particular load is using.

If I were a 1000 yd BR shooter it might be different, they tend to chase lands. The throat wear with some of the rifles shooting sighter shots then 10 for record can wear the throat pretty fast. Then I would be using the Ogive to base tool.

RCBS Precision mic is what I use. They are pricy when you have multiple cartridges, but I really trust them. I think they are worth it...

HW

You are talking about this that the modified case screws on.

There is another method to find it with a cleaning rod if you keep breaking the Lock-N-Load® O.A.L. Gauge aluminum tube.
Read this from Ultimate reloader. I can also give you the other tool name when I get back home next week
That's not OAL
That is precisely what Hornady calls it and probably why @asd9055 is trying to get clarification.

Hornady COAL gauge.jpg

Below is Hornady's version of what you presented in #2.
Hornady LNL bullet comparator.jpg

I have had the angled and straight versions of the OAL gauge for many years without any issues, but it is more fragile than the comparator.

Well I guess I could expect so little from Hornady.
"Jump to the rifling" is not OAL.

I advise the OP to abandon Hornady, and that method, all together.
Instead, seek a cleaning rod method for touch length.
Well, I don't care for Hornady much either, but that tool actually can measure both CBTO if you use the bushing, and max OAL if you don't use the bushing and measure to the tip.

I've now broke TWO of the Hornady OAL gauges. Both times the threaded aluminum tip snapped off. They seem very brittle. Does anyone make a similar measuring device that's more durable?
Contact Hornady.
We have the same OAL Gauge for ??? years and have used it in many barrels without any issues. We have made hundreds of Modified Cases for reloaders and never heard of an issue from anyone. It is a delicate process of putting the Case with the bullet into the chamber and to the lands. There should not be any "force" used in the process that would break it. Are you using it with the "Bolt" or "Lever" ?
Can't see how your Hornady Guage would break with use.
Call Hornady and maybe they will send you a new one.