over all length question

Big Jakes

I am new to loading. I am working up loads for my weatherby .300 win mag. Im using h-1000 with 180 gr interbond. The beginning load is 76.0 grains. The maximum over all length is showing 3.340 according to the guide that cam with my lee dies. I am working up loads for hunting elk in montana. Should I worry about setting the ogive off of the lands or just seat it down to the 3.340 and be done with it? Thanks for the help

Measure your OAL to the lands with that bullet and then load it to your max magazine length allowable and that will give you the "jump" and then tweak your powder charge to find sweet spot with the magazine length cartridge. This is kind of backwards of normal reloading sequence but it works when OAL is an issue. Contrary to what most think bullets that jump can and are accurate and can be loaded a little hotter.

I would ask if you are using a mag fed gun or a sin gel shot. Bulltes that jump usually do so so that you can fit it to mag length. Some who like to seat into or on the lands are using a single shot or relegating their box mag fed gun to single shot for some accuracy advantage. If a single shot I start into the lands .005 or .01 into the lands there are plenty of tools that help you get there then find a charge that works then play with seating depth seating deeper will not cause extra pressure seating deeper into can so drop down and build back up. If using the mag the advise above is right on and there are plenty of guns that shoot great w a lot of jump, i feel I just have to play a bit more to find that money spot out of the mag.
Good luck
D

I suspect you will find reaching the lands in a Weatherby to be impossible due to the traditionally long leade and it's unlikely it would shoot really well if you could. Seat at a length that will feed through your magazine and develop your best shooting charge. THEN you may want to fiddle with OAL in maybe 10 thou steps to see if you can tweak the accuracy better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.