outdoor channel leaving colo

Colorado match cancelled

April 1, 2013 |
Colorado Shooting Competition Canceled in Wake of New Gun Control Laws

GRAND JUNCTION, CO - Organizers of the Rocky Mountain Western States Regional IDPA Championship, initially scheduled to take place July 4-6 in Montrose, Colorado, have announced that the match is being canceled in the wake of Colorado's recently passed gun control laws.

An estimated 300-plus shooters from the neighboring states and across the country were expected to attend the three-day competitive shooting event. This is the second shooting competition to abandon the state after a recent announcement by firearms maker Ruger that it was moving the 2013 Ruger Rimfire Challenge World Championship out of Colorado.

"With these new Colorado laws going into effect July 1, and based on the ambiguous way in which they were written, we have decided to cancel the Rocky Mountain Western States Regional IDPA Championship," said event organizer Walt Proulx of Grand Junction.

"Due to the growing number of hunters and shooters choosing to boycott Colorado, and the risk that these laws as written will turn law-abiding citizens into criminals, we were left with no other choice but to cancel what was planned to be one of IDPA's major regional championships, and one strongly supported by Montrose-area businesses."

Cancellation of the Rocky Mountain Western States Regional adds to the negative economic impact resulting from the passage of Colorado's recent gun control legislation. Already, Colorado-based firearms accessories manufacturer Magpul Industries Corp. has announced its intention to leave the state, and Michael Bane, an independent producer for the Outdoor Channel, has said he will cease production of four of the channel's popular shooting programs in Colorado.

Hunters and shooters, as well as the firearms industry, play a major role in Colorado's economy. According to data from the National Shooting Sports Foundation, over $590 million in annual economic impact is generated by the firearms industry in the state while Colorado's 259,200 hunters spend another $465 million annually.

For more information on IDPA visit www.IDPA.com. You can also follow the latest news from IDPA via @OfficialIDPA on Twitter, ShootIDPA on Facebook, IDPA TV on YouTube, and IDPA's official blog, the DOWN ZERO Blog.
Robert Ray
(870) 545-3886
[email protected]

This legalizing marijuana thing is crazy. Besides it's health risk longer term, it promotes depression and laziness. Perfect for liberals, more needy people. If giving their jobs to China and India wasn't already enough, make them lazy and unhealthy. This is going to lead to widespread use of harder drugs as time goes on. Look at Amsterdam today, it's a mess with drug addicts who are now sick people with little hope of recovery. I swear California and Colorado are insane places to live as long as liberals call the shots.

I swear California and Colorado are insane places to live as long as liberals call the shots.

Last time we were camping in Yellowstone NP (1999) we talked to a lady that was planning on leaving CO because all the nut cases were coming from CA and ruining the state.
I guess she was right. Now they are running the state.

We have our own group of hunters here and we plan our hunts in advance. We were planning on a Colorado Elk hunt this fall, were even in the final stages of making deposits but today we cancelled for the 4 of us.

Looks like it will be BC in September.

No more Muskie fishing in New York either......

We have our own group of hunters here and we plan our hunts in advance. We were planning on a Colorado Elk hunt this fall, were even in the final stages of making deposits but today we cancelled for the 4 of us.

Looks like it will be BC in September.

No more Muskie fishing in New York either......

Be sure and let the politicians all know why "their" states lost your business.

I sent some hate mail to the governor in Colorado. Here in Michigan, our governor has been extremely hands off, but then he's a Republican and we have a very healthy revenue producing hunting season. We even have Elk here but you have to be dang lucky to pull a tag.

There is a lot more to Michigan than Kwame Kilpatric and Detroit., a whole lot more.

I swear California and Colorado are insane places to live as long as liberals call the shots.

Yes, even today when I drive around here it is still a sea of cars with plates from California. The weed is going to bring even more, until the Feds step in and put a stop to it. You can be sure that Obunga and his butt buddy holder are planning on enforcing the Federal law, but they will do so after the 2014 elections.

Last time we were camping in Yellowstone NP (1999) we talked to a lady that was planning on leaving CO because all the nut cases were coming from CA and ruining the state.
I guess she was right. Now they are running the state.

Just like the song "Crispy Critters" by C W MaCall. Same thing happens and forecast in the 70's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.