Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Why not just look at the 12 LRP, its available in 6.5 creedmoor only thing is its just a 26" barrel but its under 1000$.

trigger and the three screw action alone are a plus. I think the LRP lists for $1375 on their website, and the prices quoted were list prices. Plus I don't think you can get the LRP in a dual port action.
gary

That's the one I still have in mind. I just wanted to see the difference in price and options to see if it's worth it to step up to a custom one due to the accuracy reports from this rifle. Even full retail isn't as bad as I thought, and I won't be paying full retail for it. :D

from what I understand, the single shot is much more ridgid than the one with a mag well, and the addition of the third bedding screw seriously makes a difference in the way the action flexes when fired. Then you add in the closed top dual port, and your looking at an action that's three times stiffer than the standard open top reciever. Dosn't mean a lot at two hundred yards, but means a bunch at 800 yards. I've had both Savages with a mag well and without in similar calibers, and the single shot always grouped better.
gary

If you are going to own just one rifle, you better love the accutrigger and know that before you buy a Savage. Because if you don't the rifle is virtually worthless. There are few to NO upgrade options on triggers. The advantage of a Remington 700 or Winchester model 70 are that they are customizable/flexible after you get settled in to your rifle. If you can not change triggers to a Jewel or Shilen, Timney, etc'; or tune your trigger, the rifle is worthless. The trigger is that important. This is where a Savage fails. They do quite a bit in terms of offering a great rifle out of the box, but they fail in 2 catgegories that are vitally important to accuracy. Trigger and stock. Virtually NO flexibility for after market sellers of parts for these 2 areas, Triggers and Stocks. A Savage rifle will never hold or appreciate in value because of this. The accutrigger being you either love it or you will be disappointed with your rifle. Virtually nothing can be done about it.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck

You need to attend a factory bench rest shoot sometime, or a long range egg shoot
gary

Caliber?

Somewhere around the house I have the Precision Shooting review of this rifle. I'll dig it up this week. The rifle I looked at didn't quite group as well as the one they had, but their target furnished still did a three shot .150" group with off the shelf factory ammo. That ain't exactly what I'd call bad in any way! The one they reviewed had a test target of a little over .100" (want to say .120")
gary

Gary, I forgot to ask, but do you remember what caliber the review gun was in?

I'm not speaking for Gary but if he read the same article I did it was a 12twist 6br shooting hand loaded 68grn berger HPFB match. This combo is know, using any quality 64-68grn FB bullet over Imr 8208xbr, Benchmark, H322, or VV N133, for shooting 5 shot groups in the .1-.2" range but suffers past 300yrds due to the ballistic coefficient or lack there of. However Jason Baney won the world open 4 match aggregate last year with a 8twist 6br with 106 clinch rivers over RE15, and that is a 1000yrd match. The 6br is however limited to Norma, lapua, and Corbon for good factory ammo and cost as much as 308 or 6.5x284nm.

Thanks!

I'm not speaking for Gary but if he read the same article I did it was a 12twist 6br shooting hand loaded 68grn berger HPFB match. This combo is know, using any quality 64-68grn FB bullet over Imr 8208xbr, Benchmark, H322, or VV N133, for shooting 5 shot groups in the .1-.2" range but suffers past 300yrds due to the ballistic coefficient or lack there of. However Jason Baney won the world open 4 match aggregate last year with a 8twist 6br with 106 clinch rivers over RE15, and that is a 1000yrd match. The 6br is however limited to Norma, lapua, and Corbon for good factory ammo and cost as much as 308 or 6.5x284nm.

Thank you for the info sir!

Re: Caliber?

Gary, I forgot to ask, but do you remember what caliber the review gun was in?

I told you wrong, as it was a 22-250 a (getting old). The bullet was a 40 grain Nosler BT in factory loaded Federal ammo. No hand loads involved. It was a three shot group, not a five. The action was a right bolt / left port single shot mod. 12 with the three screw action. I don't know why I was thinking 6BR, but gather you can get in just about any caliber Savage chambers

can be had in:
.204 Ruger
5mm/35 SMc (whatever that is?)
22-250
6.5-284
.308 Winchester
and more
gary

Re: Caliber?

I told you wrong, as it was a 22-250 a (getting old). The bullet was a 40 grain Nosler BT in factory loaded Federal ammo. No hand loads involved. It was a three shot group, not a five. The action was a right bolt / left port single shot mod. 12 with the three screw action. I don't know why I was thinking 6BR, but gather you can get in just about any caliber Savage chambers

can be had in:
.204 Ruger
5mm/35 SMc (whatever that is?)
22-250
6.5-284
.308 Winchester
and more
gary

Awesome and thanks again!

Barrel length question?

Well guys we are getting closer!!!

I just had a quick (or maybe not so quick?) question on barrel length.

It seems like there is a trend towards shorter, more rigid barrels. With the custom options we've talked about is barrel length as important as twist rate?

Or I guess more plainly, what barrel length would you recommend for a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered gun for what I'm looking to do with it?

Thanks again!

Barrel length has little, if not nothing at all, to do with accuracy. Same for how stiff it is. A given barrel whips and wiggles at the same frequency and same amount for a given load for each and every shot. It's probably the most repeatable thing in the shooting system. There's a lot more shot-to-shot variables in the ammo and shooter than in the rifle barrel. Rifle barrels don't change from shot to shot. . .unless made to do so from some outside force.

To answer your question a 26" 8 twist savage vamint contour would be perfect, if you don't mind extra weight then a 30" 8 twist 1" bull will add a little velocity and heat sink slower.

with a little luck and a very light contoured barrel you can shoot bug holes, but it's a lot easier with a very stiff and ridgid barrel due to harmonics alone. Read some of Bill Calfee's writings and you'll see this comming true.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.