Out of the Box Accuracy

How about kimbers accuracy. never owned one or held one but they seem like they would be a nice gun

My question is what do you consider accurate? Some guys who get 1" moa or better at a hundred are happy. To some guys and myself it will **** me off. I think most factory mass produced rifles are luck of the draw. I have some friends with out of the box 700s which are tack drivers and others who wont hit the side of a barn. I have a Sako 75 that wont hit the side of the barn. So it runs in most over the counter guns no matter what you pay. I have other Sakos that are shooters and the last a ***. So a lot of it is luck of the draw. I think though most guys dont take the time to find the right load/practice etc. Just my two cents.

My question is what do you consider accurate? Some guys who get 1" moa or better at a hundred are happy. To some guys and myself it will **** me off. I think most factory mass produced rifles are luck of the draw. I have some friends with out of the box 700s which are tack drivers and others who wont hit the side of a barn. I have a Sako 75 that wont hit the side of the barn. So it runs in most over the counter guns no matter what you pay. I have other Sakos that are shooters and the last a ***. So a lot of it is luck of the draw. I think though most guys dont take the time to find the right load/practice etc. Just my two cents.

nice just read what you put on my other forum bout the the sako as your least accurate gun. and I cant agree more on the luck of the draw thing.

Anybody know bout the out of the box accuracy on Kimber or Blaser. They should shoot well considering the price tag when i could go off spend half the price for still a good shooting gun.

My brother has a couple of Blaser R93's and several barrels to go along with them. They have all been sub-MOA. A couple of the barrels have shot 1/2 MOA. But, I don't know how accurately he keeps records. He may only be reporting his best groups. He doesn't hand load. So, it's all just premium factory ammo.

i am thinking about getting an X-bolt in 270wsm or 7wsm.. i havent decided yet! maybe even a 300wsm...lol. But im glad someone is with me. I also dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a custom rifle... college kid has to eat ya know!

Is that why you shoot kittens? LOL :D

OutOfTheBoxSavages.jpg OutOfTheBoxSavages_.jpg

Absolutely amazing! Yup, true story!!!

Last edited:
I understand, I'm a sometimes working man in todays economy, Money is tight. Several times I have seen $3,000 mentioned. A gunsmith can turn your old friend into a nice shooter for about a third that amount, often less than the price of a new box rifle. If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!

If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!

I have to agree. It has taken a long three years to get my rifle to the point I want it. It started life as a factory Savage. After a lot of Q&A, and research I built my own semi-custom. It uses the factory action, but nothing else is factory at all. Just pulled together a .75" 5shot group at 300yds with it today. Best group prone at that distance I have ever shot. Also figured out that my aftermarket barrel does not like to run hot. Had one flier out of 6 shots. Could of been me, could have been the load... not sure. But what I do know is that I let it cool and the last two shot dropped into the same group. So back to the original comment, working on old faithful goes a long way if you want to save money.

Tank

I understand, I'm a sometimes working man in todays economy, Money is tight. Several times I have seen $3,000 mentioned. A gunsmith can turn your old friend into a nice shooter for about a third that amount, often less than the price of a new box rifle. If your box rifle brand was ever worth a plugged nickel it is well worth fixing up and by the same not so expensive hands that build the customs. It pretty much goes like this: box, improved box, semi-custom, custom, presentation, Exhibition grade, Where a persons rifle stands in that line, is up to them and often the difference is the difference between reboxing and rebuilding along the way. If it is actually about money!

Im with ya Ken. I'm a "no times" working guy and I HAVE the $$....but Im not giving it to some dude that will "guarantee" me accuracy enough to put all 5 in one hole at some ungodly distance. It aint THAT important to me.

Im in the planning stages of a " improved box, semi-custom " rig. .243 caliber; Rem 700 VSL as my base. I'll use the stock ( which I like) action; barrel. Whatever dont work to my satisfaction gets swapped out. I even like the trigger on the existing 22-250 VLS I have..so th4 new one might stay also???

Im mainly planning on having it "hit the target" at ( to me at least) extreme distances of 600-700 yards...consistently. With handloading and bore polishing...etc..etc...yadda yadda....we will see what she will do come time..???

I have to agree. It has taken a long three years to get my rifle to the point I want it. It started life as a factory Savage. After a lot of Q&A, and research I built my own semi-custom. It uses the factory action, but nothing else is factory at all. Just pulled together a .75" 5shot group at 300yds with it today. Best group prone at that distance I have ever shot. Also figured out that my aftermarket barrel does not like to run hot. Had one flier out of 6 shots. Could of been me, could have been the load... not sure. But what I do know is that I let it cool and the last two shot dropped into the same group. So back to the original comment, working on old faithful goes a long way if you want to save money.

Tank
Sounds like you've got her figured out! It may not apply as it is a factory sporter barrel, but my '06 doesn't like to be shot hot either. Groups open up considerably, but my buddy's .308 VSF (or whatever the designation is for varmint contour) shoots well hot or cold.

View attachment 643 View attachment 644

Absolutely amazing! Yup, true story!!!

Regarding the Savage target rifles....

Yes. BUT... You can't convince me that every single one that comes out of the factory is ready for competition. I am sure they go over them with a fine toothed comb just as I have done with my 12F.

If you buy one and complain that it only shoots .4, .6, .8, 1.0, 1.2 MOA, they aren't necessarily going to do anything about it.

Great rifles nonetheless.

Regarding the Savage target rifles....

Yes. BUT... You can't convince me that every single one that comes out of the factory is ready for competition. I am sure they go over them with a fine toothed comb just as I have done with my 12F.

If you buy one and complain that it only shoots .4, .6, .8, 1.0, 1.2 MOA, they aren't necessarily going to do anything about it.

Great rifles nonetheless.

Your right. They do go over the rifles. I remember reading an article pertaining to this team. They do use factory tubes, but if the barrel does not meet their expectations, they will swap the barrel out for another factory tube.

Tank

Hope i don't come across wrong here. I have a stock Savage Model 12 FVSS. I shoot quarter size groups or smaller at 300 yards all day with it. Just got a Savage Model 10 FP in a 308. I can shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with it already and have only started working on a load for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.