Out of the Box Accuracy

i am thinking about getting an X-bolt in 270wsm or 7wsm.. i havent decided yet! maybe even a 300wsm...lol. But im glad someone is with me. I also dont have 3000 dollars to spend on a custom rifle... college kid has to eat ya know!

Savage.png

This is Savage stock Rifles. No custom ones here.Just out of the box Savage

You really have sparked my curiosity with the photos. Were those rifles taken right off a stores shelves kind of like willy nilly, nobody tinkered with them and they competed in a class against custom rifles that had shooters equal to them. Please understand my confusion, The top national and international people are going to Walmart grabbing a Savage and winning with them. Kind of hurts an old gunsmiths feelings because I'm not ready to go into the fossill records stacked just above the clovis man, not just yet anyhow. p.s. sure hope I have on clean underwear when they excavate me.

Yes those are stock off the shelf Savage rifles. They are the BR series rifles as you can tell. Every year Savage stock BR rifles win some compatiton. They beat out 5000.00 rifles all the time. Don't get this wrong those custom rifles win many many times over too.

I shot on a state champ pistol team in MT, I saw Rugers with just a trigger job win, against Italian pistols 3-4 times the cost.

Liltank--Dang you for posting those pics.You have any idea how long it took me to stop looking at them everyday:D I wanted that 308 in the BR.Had my hands on it many times and it just bit to have to put it back on the shelf again.

Ken don't feel hurt. I would kill to have a trade such as yours. Accuracy is one thing,but accuracy with something you built yourself leaves a warm spot inside that can't be beat. I would love to buy a custom rifle,but 2 kids,one in College,one ready for College. House payments,car and truck and boat payments,ect,ect.
Just can't do it. That is why i could not afford the BR in a 308 either.

Last edited:
a sincere thanks guys. There is a fair to midland chance That Someday I might be seen in the woods with a rifle I didn't build and it might be a Savage. could happen

My new Savage 111 LRH in 6.5-284 coming along. The barrel is rough, so I spend more time pushing blueberries than I do shooting. Gonna have to try the Tubb's Final Finish. Can't complain about the accuracy though.

Second half of the load ladder produced some good 100 yard 3 shot groups the other day.
Lapua brass, Hybrid 100V, GM210M, 139 gr Lapua Scenar
1. .316"
2. .521"
3. .169"
4. .367"
5. .926" (DOH.......)

All prone off Harris bipods, sandbag rear. Dropping pressure and a cold front with snow blowing in while testing. Winds 0-12 mph and swirling.

I have a semi-custom Savage 12 in .204 that is feather light and a great predator calling rig. Shoots like a mofo with 40 grain Bergers over Varget.

Aside from the rough barrel, I have never had a problem with Savage. I have ended up with a worse factory barrel though. It is a Browning A-bolt Micro Medallion in .284 Winchester. So bad it was ripping patches. After having the barrel lapped it came down under an inch and I can clean it in one day now.....

I do have to agree that a factory rifle can still be "luck of the draw". I have had great Savages and Rugers and bad Browning, Winchester (feeding problem), and Remington (accuracy). I have no doubt that Remmy, Win, and Browning make good rifles, I have seen them. Just wasn't lucky enough to get one when I purchased.

Not sure if I have added to clarity or fueled confusion, but it's my .02. Money back guarantee.....

I am interested in working up a load for my "new to me" $200 pawn shop Savage 110 in 7 Rem Mag but have not had time to do it.

For factory accuracy right now I have a Rem 700 30-06 sporter 22.5" barrel that has produced in the .3s with Berger 210s at 100yds with me on the gun, but usually .5ish.

I also have a pre '64 Win model 88 .308 that is an inheritance from dad that shoots relatively the same. Last time I took it out was probably 10+years ago for zero and it put factory ammo from Wal Mart in around .5" or so at 100. At that time I didn't know to measure groups. I was just out hunting, but I remember the 1" orange circle and the holes "almost" cloverleafing inside it after walking the scope over to POA; and I remember thinking something was wrong because they were not all in 1 hole (as a kid not knowing better)... a buddy there and my head hung, I blamed it on myself and no practice...:) Fond memory now.

The most impressive thread I have ever read are these. Never have I seen more scripture and never have I had a better Idea of who I am writting with.

When i started this thread i talked about my weatherby but ive gotta go with yall on the savage. My dad has a couple and out of the box they were real good shooters but i still think i could out do him with my weatherby ... but i still love savage. In fact a savage 111 lrh might be in the near future because i think savage is probably more reliable for out of the box accuracy. But please continue to post more thoughts :)

One of my friends just bought an FN model 70 Winchester. It was good in appearance and fit. They really aren't a Win 70, they resemble one. He reports good accuracy and flawless function. Hopefully I will pull its trigger soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.