Our Horse Stolen From Our Pasture In Windsor Virginia.

DocB

Windsor, VA (but heading for the Rockies)
Missing and presumably stolen from our farm at Whispering Pines Trail in Windsor, Va is our beautiful Tennessee Walking Horse, Duke. Please read and share the following information to help bring this horse home. He is loved and extremely missed. We think our horse was stolen from our front pasture while we were at a Dr. appointment 10/4/22. When we went out to feed at 7:00pm the horse was nowhere to be found. We have filed a police report; we've contacted animal control with the Isle of Wight County Sheriff. Duke, has a microchip and that number was given to the sheriff dept. We walked all over. We drove a 12-mile radius covering Whispering Pines Trail, Central Hill, Beale Place, plus walked the creek from the side of the property all the way to the back covered the woods between our home and both neighbors. If you can please keep a look out and call us @ 757-650-4279.
Duke is a beautiful black Tennessee Walking Horse with 2 white socks on back legs and a white face blaze, with a splash of white across his front right leg and behind his left jaw. He's 16 hands and weighs about 1100 lbs. He is very friendly, will approach when clucked. Please contact your friends and post on your media. We celebrated Dukes birthday on the 3rd he turned 26 and I've had him since he was 3. Please help me find our four legged baby."
Please contact me with any info or suggestions. We suspect he will be transported out of state to North Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee possible to a buyer/killer auction.
Contact me at 757-650-4279 or [email protected]
PLEASE POST ON EVERY SOCIAL MEDIA YOU HAVE, NOTIFY YOUR STATE POLICE & STATE VET AND ANY LIVESTOCK AUCTIONS IN YOUR STATE.
"We still hang horse thieves!"
Thanks everyone, DocB
IMG_20211225_134011416_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211212_114709947.jpg

When I was a lot younger my friend had a place that boarded horses. When he found out how much that I liked to ride he told me to come out and help him exercise horses. He had a Tennessee Walker. I loved that horse. Wasn't like riding a horse , it was like riding a cloud. Hope they catch the thieves and get your horse back to you!

Doc
We sure hope that you get your horse back. I had a horse farm when I was younger, and you can get more attached to a Horse than any other animal. There is a strong bond between and horse and it's rider, especially after 23 years. You must be heartbroken. It is an evil act steeling an animal.
Someone tried to steel our goats last night, but Samson and Cassie got to them as they were going through the fence. Pretty sure Samson bit one of them. Jill was ahead of me running out to the field and we only heard the vehicle speed away with no lights. One goat was part way through the wooden fence. We called the Sherriff and have a Resident GS State Patrol about 1/2 mile up the road. The State Patrol visited us this morning and said livestock theft are on the rise. Steeling a goat worth less than $100 is only a misdemeanor here and there is a population near here that eat goats.

Hello Everyone! Great News! Duke is home in his pasture. Thanks to the diligent, hard work, tedious hours of networking tracking killer buyers and horse slaughter venues aka auctions; my wife tirelessly texting, calling, pressuring local sheriff and animal control to acknowledge that Duke was, in fact, stolen from our yard and had not just wandered off from his pasture of 22 years, to initiate a criminal complaint of grand larceny, animal theft, trespassing and being given a criminal complaint number which she immediately posted to netposse.net and getting the word out, Duke was apparently dropped off in the very early morning hours in cotton fields about a mile from our farm where he was seen just after sunrise by the land owner. Thanks to the efforts mentioned above this farmer's daughter was aware that our horse was missing, what he looked like and who to contact!! The Isle of Wight Sheriff's Animal Control officers were on scene in minutes to verify. I arrived minutes later and after 6 hours of pursuit, over 12 miles of walking thru woods, swamps, fields Duke finally gave up! He'd been gone 11 days. Apparently the folks who horse napped him were made aware of the criminal complaint and the ongoing nationwide search for Duke by an animal control officer from an adjacent county and that we had very strong suspicions of who had him. After 2 days home, it's obviously apparent that he was abused, that a twitch was used to control him to the extent that he could not chew his food, he was terrified of people as evidenced by the 5 hours it took to capture him. But overall physically he has just a couple of superficial lacerations, his sore mouth, a couple of hoof marks from other horses he was pinned with. He's readapting to his home, my wife is spending hours comforting him and he's going to be fine in a few days. I'd really like to thank everyone and their families and friends for a the time and efforts into helping in the search for our Duke. Needless to say, without y'all we would not have found him so quickly. Our community is truly a remarkable one bonded by a shared culture of Christian, Conservative, traditional values and beliefs and my wife and I truly love and respect everyone if you. Thank you all for your help. Respectfully Bruce and Kay Burnett, Double Shoe Farm, Windsor VA.
IMG_20221014_134042379~2.jpg
IMG_20221016_132158266.jpg
IMG_20221014_134042379~2.jpg
IMG_20221014_140113802.jpg
IMG_20221016_132158266.jpg

Hello Everyone! Great News! Duke is home in his pasture. Thanks to the diligent, hard work, tedious hours of networking tracking killer buyers and horse slaughter venues aka auctions; my wife tirelessly texting, calling, pressuring local sheriff and animal control to acknowledge that Duke was, in fact, stolen from our yard and had not just wandered off from his pasture of 22 years, to initiate a criminal complaint of grand larceny, animal theft, trespassing and being given a criminal complaint number which she immediately posted to netposse.net and getting the word out, Duke was apparently dropped off in the very early morning hours in cotton fields about a mile from our farm where he was seen just after sunrise by the land owner. Thanks to the efforts mentioned above this farmer's daughter was aware that our horse was missing, what he looked like and who to contact!! The Isle of Wight Sheriff's Animal Control officers were on scene in minutes to verify. I arrived minutes later and after 6 hours of pursuit, over 12 miles of walking thru woods, swamps, fields Duke finally gave up! He'd been gone 11 days. Apparently the folks who horse napped him were made aware of the criminal complaint and the ongoing nationwide search for Duke by an animal control officer from an adjacent county and that we had very strong suspicions of who had him. After 2 days home, it's obviously apparent that he was abused, that a twitch was used to control him to the extent that he could not chew his food, he was terrified of people as evidenced by the 5 hours it took to capture him. But overall physically he has just a couple of superficial lacerations, his sore mouth, a couple of hoof marks from other horses he was pinned with. He's readapting to his home, my wife is spending hours comforting him and he's going to be fine in a few days. I'd really like to thank everyone and their families and friends for a the time and efforts into helping in the search for our Duke. Needless to say, without y'all we would not have found him so quickly. Our community is truly a remarkable one bonded by a shared culture of Christian, Conservative, traditional values and beliefs and my wife and I truly love and respect everyone if you. Thank you all for your help. Respectfully Bruce and Kay Burnett, Double Shoe Farm, Windsor VA. View attachment 402411View attachment 402415View attachment 402411View attachment 402412View attachment 402415
A happy ending. So glad you got Duke back. It is very important to have your animal Marker/Tattooed/Chipped. Auctions and kill Pens are required to check each animal, but some have no scruples. I am glad that they made it illegal to slaughter horseses in the US. When I had a horse farm in CT there were Slaughter Pens and buyers from the Pens would go to all the Auctions to buy horses. A lot of good horses went to Europe for meat.
Although the US made it illegal to have Slaughterhouses, they now have Kill Pens and stage the horses there then transport to Mexico or Canada to be Slaughtered.
Glad you got the word out and the thieves let Duke go.