OTC Idaho Elk & Mule Deer

stx

Anyone know any good areas to hunt with over the counter elk/mule deer permits in Idaho? My son recently moved there and we're wanting to plan a hunt but don't know the areas with a greater chance for success on decent bulls/bucks with OTC permits! This may not even be feasible but just thought I'd ask due to the vast knowledge at this site! Thanks in Advance for any help!

The best units are already sold out for non-residents. The Sawtooth and Salmon units usually have the highest success rates. ID F&G has the success rates listed on their website based on method of take for every unit.

I've killed elk in 16 but that is before the wolves ravaged much of central ID. I haven't been up there since the early 2000's. Where I hunted you needed to be able to shoot up to 850yds so I hauled my old military rangefinder up there and ranged everything and wrote the distances on a blown up picture. I'm sure the clear cut we shot from has grown up a lot since then and I'm not sure you could still shoot across the canyon. It was about a mile and a half to two miles behind a locked gate.

I hunted 15 probably a total of 5 days and didn't see many elk. That country needs clear cuts to make it huntable from any kind of distance. Since most all the logging has been shut down here I doubt there are any new clear cuts. After 20+ years it's hard to see in a clear cut unless you are way above it. The only other option is to still hunt the dark timber and that is a PITA IMO.

I've killed elk in 16 but that is before the wolves ravaged much of central ID. I haven't been up there since the early 2000's. Where I hunted you needed to be able to shoot up to 850yds so I hauled my old military rangefinder up there and ranged everything and wrote the distances on a blown up picture. I'm sure the clear cut we shot from has grown up a lot since then and I'm not sure you could still shoot across the canyon. It was about a mile and a half to two miles behind a locked gate.

I hunted 15 probably a total of 5 days and didn't see many elk. That country needs clear cuts to make it huntable from any kind of distance. Since most all the logging has been shut down here I doubt there are any new clear cuts. After 20+ years it's hard to see in a clear cut unless you are way above it. The only other option is to still hunt the dark timber and that is a PITA IMO.

Thanks

Like stated above, Several of the better units have sold out of the non resident elk tags.
Does not mean you can not get a deer and a wolf tag tho. Spend some time scouting and getting to know the ground.

I started hunting the salmon zone back in 1983, when the non resident elk tags were affordable, the elk were somewhat plentiful, somewhat I said. But the wolves have made a huge impact on the elk and how the live.

Only way to know is to start going and putting some boot leather on the ground. And if you hunt the salmon zone, don't forget the Gibbsonville hunters ball. Great time...

Good luck and remember to have fun..

Like stated above, Several of the better units have sold out of the non resident elk tags.
Does not mean you can not get a deer and a wolf tag tho. Spend some time scouting and getting to know the ground.

I started hunting the salmon zone back in 1983, when the non resident elk tags were affordable, the elk were somewhat plentiful, somewhat I said. But the wolves have made a huge impact on the elk and how the live.

Only way to know is to start going and putting some boot leather on the ground. And if you hunt the salmon zone, don't forget the Gibbsonville hunters ball. Great time...

Good luck and remember to have fun..

Thanks

The panhandle units 1-8 are doing very well, population wise. Over the counter tags are available. Road access is good in most units with some back-country areas in every unit.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.