Elk or Mule Deer?

MaxnMoses

I have an opportunity to hunt the Three Forks Ranch (CO/WY border) in Sep 2014. I have lots of white tail experience, have hunted coyotes out west at very long ranges, but have never hunted elk or muleys. I have no idea when I will be able to make such a hunt again. Seeing as how I have no idea what, if any, difference is in the hunting of muleys vs elk, I put it to you guys... which one should I choose? This is an expensive hunt so I can't do both, although I may be able to add a pronghorn to the hunt.

Thanks

Unquestionably ELK.

I have mule deer walking through my neighborhood several times a week - they're not significantly different than whitetails.

An elk, on the other hand, is significantly larger and a very different animal than any whitetail I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of whitetails).

Dang, that would be a tough one!! I'll drop an elk every time for a good mule deer buck, hunt harder and farther for mule deer bucks than I would an elk but I grew up with elk being around every day and not all that hard to get, kinda like whitetails in the bottoms. For the once in a life time though I'd bet an elk would really stick with a guy!!

I've done a number of guided deer & elk hunts. I wouldn't waste my time with 3 Forks based on what I've seen on tv. Seems like they take nothing but 5 pts or dink 6's. Lotta money for not much quality...

I live and hunt very near to the Three Forks Ranch. Mule deer numbers or on the low side right now, elk numbers or good. I would go with elk. No matter wich you choose it should be a great hunt. Good luck!

You know you can buy unlimited over the counter Bull Elk tags for the state of Colorado, right??? Where as it takes a minimum of 2 pref points to draw a muley tag, in just about any GMA there.

Where in wyo is this 3 forks ranch? I live in southern wyo, haven't heard of it. I know where I'm at the mule deer numbers have been on the decline for a couple years. Still some great bucks, just have to work harder. We are overrun with elk though and anyone coming in sees lots of elk and has a great hunt. I think you'd enjoy either hunt, but if it were me I'd go with the elk and save my money up for a mulie hunt in the future. The snowy range which has been a general license for deer is now going to limited quota and some areas are having point restrictions. Should be a bright future for mule deer hunting!

Where in wyo is this 3 forks ranch? I live in southern wyo, haven't heard of it. I know where I'm at the mule deer numbers have been on the decline for a couple years. Still some great bucks, just have to work harder. We are overrun with elk though and anyone coming in sees lots of elk and has a great hunt. I think you'd enjoy either hunt, but if it were me I'd go with the elk and save my money up for a mulie hunt in the future. The snowy range which has been a general license for deer is now going to limited quota and some areas are having point restrictions. Should be a bright future for mule deer hunting!

***It's not in Wyoming. It's a 50,000 acre ranch under the Ranching For Wildlife Program outside of Hayden, CO that caters to the high rollers. The room rates alone at the Lodge start at $700+ per person a night and they have year around activities (hunting, fishing, trap shooting, horses, skiing, etc.). Antelope hunts are $4500, elk starts at $8500 for five days, and a mulie hunt for 5 days is $9250. Just your average place, LOL!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.