OTC Bull Elk, Public Land, CO 2nd Rifle Season 2017 – My Story

So good story. Good on you to get out here.

When hunting out here (in the west) I would say there is a HUGE difference between a guided and self
Guided hunt. Hunting in a guided situation for a guy that is motivated and in mountain shape is as close to a guarantee as you can get. I would caution those that think this is attainable if you are not local and don't have a guide.

Just because you purchased an over the counter tag doesn't mean you hunted the same as 99% of the other over the counter hunters! I'm not hating on your experience but want to portray a realistic idea of what it takes to be successful in the west/Colorado!

Packing out your own deer or elk alone, researching the units, applying for the tags, scouting and successfully executing the hunt is an entirely different beast than what you are portraying! It reminds me of another post where an easterner stated that the need to carrying a pack and emergency supplies was not necessary as he was so close to the truck.

These are not realistic expectations!!!

If you pay for a guide, private land or other enhancing services; you have paid to cut corners and not hunt the same way as your peers! Honestly I'm pretty tired of these stories of "How to come out west on an elk hunt and be successful!"

If I paid to hunt on a high end, high fence whitetail hunt in Texas or Iowa, and shot a 215" whitetail....did I earn it or just pay for it? Same thing out in the west! Most that are not from here want the easy route. You gotta pay for the pain.

If you want to just hang a rack on the wall and brag to your friends then a guided hunt is perfect!

If you are the type to hit the "easy button" then get a guide to do all the work and you can take all the credit!

To me, it's like buying a prostitute! Out of your league but you can afford it!

True western success is EARNED NOT PURCHASED!

I completely understand what you are saying. I never intended this to be a "this is how to succeed out west" kind of story, it is merely a recap of my week and something I can read 15 years from now and laugh about.

However, I wouldn't go as far as comparing a public land hunt in Colorado with a high fence hunt in Texas. To me, a guide is a teacher and a tool. Someone I want to learn from so that next time I go out I don't need the services. When we started wing shooting in Texas we used a guide the first couple times. I've used guides for offshore fishing before. Now that we know the ins-and-outs we go on our own. Maybe you had a family member for friend show you the ropes, but my guess is that the majority of hunters are learning from someone. Not knowing anyone out west to do that for me, I'm forced to pay for an education - and that's what this whole hunt was for me.

Sure it could be considered cutting corners and making things easier, but it isn't something that I plan on doing every time out. If I ever score a sheep tag, chances are I would pay for a guide to ensure that I didn't just waste 20 years applying for a tag and coming home empty handed. And on a similar token, isn't using high power optics a shortcut? A rangefinder? A ballistic calculator? Center-fire rifle that can accurately reach out past 600yds? I guess if we all wanted the ultimate challenge we would build our own long-bows and make our own arrows from wood and arrowheads out of stones (Sitka Gear has an awesome video on YouTube of a dude doing just that). Every tool we use as hunters gives us an advantage of some sort, down to the clothes we wear. So a guide is just another advantage - someone who has intimate knowledge of the area, and a plethora of tactics to share.

Nice story, but I have a question. If you were planning this for three years, why not build points in those years to be able to get a better tag? In the end it worked out for you and your buddy. Congrats

Yeah, never thought about that. 3 years ago I didn't know anything about the different systems states use for their draws (and even now I only know a little). I guess I always wanted to do an OTC hunt - it just offers more flexibility to go when you choose, and I don't plan on going out every year, and I don't have to sit around wondering whether or not I will draw in a given year. I don't really care about having a chance at "better" bulls in "better" units, I just wanted to get out there and spend some time in the woods.

Midnightmalloy---Don't you have anything better to do than to come on here and diss the nice lengthy story and pictures of a guy who made his first trip out west and had an enjoyable time? Your posts IMHO sucked and there was no need to even post with your righteous BS of the only way to hunt is DIY like you do it. If I was the OP I'd have told you to stick it where the sun don't shine, so I'll do it for him!!! Oh, and by the way, I've only done two guided hunts in 65 years of hunting and everything else has been DIY so I guess I'm okay in your book, LOL!

Midnightmalloy---Don't you have anything better to do than to come on here and diss the nice lengthy story and pictures of a guy who made his first trip out west and had an enjoyable time? Your posts IMHO sucked and there was no need to even post with your righteous BS of the only way to hunt is DIY like you do it. If I was the OP I'd have told you to stick it where the sun don't shine, so I'll do it for him!!! Oh, and by the way, I've only done two guided hunts in 65 years of hunting and everything else has been DIY so I guess I'm okay in your book, LOL!

I apologize.

Yeah, never thought about that. 3 years ago I didn't know anything about the different systems states use for their draws (and even now I only know a little). I guess I always wanted to do an OTC hunt - it just offers more flexibility to go when you choose, and I don't plan on going out every year, and I don't have to sit around wondering whether or not I will draw in a given year. I don't really care about having a chance at "better" bulls in "better" units, I just wanted to get out there and spend some time in the woods.

The "better" units aren't always about quality of the animals. It can be more land to hunt, better access, more animal opportunity

Great write up. I love daydreaming and remembering past hunts. The intensity moments before you pull the trigger is insane. Nothing like it. Reading your story put me right back there...awesome.

Nice write up of your hunt.
I hunted 2nd rifle in CO GMU 751 for three years 2006 - 2008 & never had a shot, though three (or was it four?) of my companions tagged out on those hunts.
You're right about the night sky; I live in a rural part of northern England & never see anything like the spectacular view available from 9,000' up in the San Juan mountains & many miles from a major light source.
Speaking of which; I was surprised how much the altitude affected me, with insomnia being a major issue (we had our camp at 8,900') & the day we trekked to 11,000' was a chore.
I ended up being able to retire this year, six years early, so after next year's plains game hunt in the Eastern Cape, I really want to return to CO & finally get an elk.

Awesome write up! Really like your writing style, reads like a good friend telling you a story :) I'm about the same age/same place in life (young kids) and have really been thinking about how to do my first elk hunt too- very inspiring!!

Got 'em loaded up quick. The walk out takes 53 minutes, little over 2 miles. I carry the rack on my neck and just have a blasty-blast good time getting through the oak brush. It was about 7:30a when we spotted them, 9:30 when I shot him and 1:30p when we got back to the cabin. Our Pittsburg buddies got one too! No ****! 3 out of 4 is great! They were planning on still hunting in the evening. They found a meat processor that would have it done in the morning for an expedite fee. I'd much rather drink and relax than spend the afternoon de-boning (plus all the extra processing at home). We ran up to the processor.

View attachment 87171
Look hard, there's 3 different racks in there. Front is buddy's, middle is Pittsburg's, back is mine.

That was about it. Back to the cabin for some celebratory cold beverages. Sat in the hot tub for the first time that week – not sure why I wasn't doing that every night. Got all packed and ready to leave in the morning. Did some pizza that night; no one felt like cooking anymore.

Lessons learned:

1. Pack weight. I suppose I've been preparing for a backpack hunt for all these years and I wanted to feel like I was going on one. We only went out for 3-4 hours at a time. You don't need a gallon of water, extra drawers and redundant everything in your backpack for ½-day hunts! I got it down to 1.5 liters of water, 1 extra jacket, and just the essentials in the backpack – knife, flashlight, headlamp, couple snacks, etc. Hell, that first morning I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner in there – don't know why. You don't need a $500 pack either – I don't know, maybe they would hold up better to packing out 100#, but whatever, only needed a daypack for this style hunt. My Kelty typically retails for between $99-$125 on Amazon. I always put stuff in my wish list and watch if for a year. It dropped to $62 at one point and I snagged it up. I am a backpack whore. I have a couple internal frame hiking packs, and a couple external frame packs. This one is one of the most comfy, and offers good utility.

2. Dialing the range on your scope. Look, it's what all the bad@sses do on youtube, and typically I like to do it at the range, but realistically under 300 yards it is silly. Now, I had a much better scope that I intended to use for this trip, but a last-minute change (2 weeks before hunt) to the 6.5CM rifle left me with a crappy scope since I didn't want to break apart my other rifle. KISS – keep it simple stupid.

3. Clothing. I spent a bit of money on rain gear and didn't end up needing/using it. But that's something I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. I'm a frugal guy, more so than most. All I have to say is, wait for sales. Kuiu has big black Friday sales, July 4 sales, and stuff on outlet clearance throughout the year. I was super impressed with the quality (as was my buddy whom bought it on my recommendation). I don't feel you need all the $80 gloves and $40 hats to go with it though. There's nothing wrong with mixing & matching patterns from different brands. The only camo I use in TX is either cotton or waterfowl print – neither good for the mountains.

4. Since we are on clothing – polyester drawers. Wow! I don't know why I've never had these before; always had cotton. We all know cotton kills when it's cold out, so I purchased some of these and don't know how I'll ever go back. Great moisture wicking abilities, love 'em.

5. Online apps – GoHunt Insider and OnXmaps. So, this year and last year GoHunt ran a free month around Aug/Sept. I think the code was "Randy" for Randy Newberg of On Your Own Adventures. I went in there and got all the info I needed, and then decided not to pay for the year. No harm no foul. I did that last year, and again this year. I can see the benefit if you are applying to a ton of tags every year, but it just isn't something that I have the use for. OnXmaps – I don't have it, but I could definitely see where the benefit would be. I have a freebie CO topo map from GPSdepot from 2011 that seems to have mostly correct property lines still. But that's something that you would definitely benefit from if going on your own – I had the guide to rely on, so I didn't feel the need for it.

6. Boots. Like the tires on your car, that's the only thing between you and the land. If you're not going to some extreme rock cliffs or wicked snow, don't overlook regular hiking boots. There are some superior brands better than the hunting specific stuff sometimes. Expect to spend at least $200 and get yourself something good that you can try on first and have proper time to break in (if required). I ended up with some Cabela Meindls on sale for $175, normally $220.

7. Dinners at camp – might not be as easy if you are tent camping. We each made a dinner at home and froze it before making the trip. Had some great, hearty, home cooked meals every night that only needed to be heated up. I made a baked mac 'n cheese with a pound of bacon and pound of sausage. Buddy made probably 5-quarts of Scimitar chili. Pittsburg guys made dumplings (chicken? can't remember) and big pot pies. Great idea and highly recommended!

8. Conditioning. Guide said if we could walk/hike 10 miles with no pack we should be good. I'll be honest and say I definitely should have done more. I work on the 7th floor in an office building and never take the elevator. Usually go up the stairs 3x per day, sometimes 4. I would walk 2 miles everyday on my lunch hour, and then another 1 mile either in the morning or afternoon. I went on a couple runs, only 3 miles, when we were closer to the trip. My buddy and I went on a couple 6-7 mile hikes with full packs. We should have been doing that for at least 10 weeks leading up to the trip. Outside of walking, I only do some pushups, pull-ups, squats, sit-ups, planks, etc., and lots and lots of stretching. Put the kiddo on the shoulders, she's about 33 lbs, and do squats that way – she LOVES it! I don't believe in gym memberships, you can do everything at home. Swing the axe/chop some firewood, stand on 1 leg and shake a gallon paint can over your head, whatever. If you think you are ready, do some more!
First Congrats! Thanks for sharing the story. An elk hunt out west is on my bucket list. I hope someday to do that with one of my sons that hunts. Can you share the name of the guide?

Also, really great story telling and very useful detail. I use hornady ELD-X 178 grain for my 308 to hunt deer (out to 215 yards) and long distance target shooting (out to 1015 yards). It has worked really well for me so far. I have read some people complaining about the ELD-x for hunting in the smaller caliber rounds like the 6.5mm. I'm hoping to someday hunt elk with 300wm or UM using hornady ELD-X 212 grain but hope to hear more on the ELD-X from other readers. Thanks again for a really great story and sharing all of that detail!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.