Oregon Ram Down!

ACLakey

I get a call from a good friend and hunting partner earlier this year and he asked what caliber would I like to have for sheep. I stated the 270 WSM would be at the top of my short list, why do you ask? He said I drew my sheep tag and I proceeded to curse and congratulate him. He buys a new 270 WSM with a Leupold 4.5x14 scope and after quite a bit of range time on weekends and after work till dark sessions settles on a Barnes TSX which shot very well for him. New rifle, check, good ammo, check time to head to the field.

My buddy spent the next four weekends scouting and talking with the local biologists....he defiantly put his time in. He located a group of six rams and found them on a steep hillside two weekends in a row....the plan is now set. A few days ago, his brother and a couple friends hiked up the backside to the top rim early in the morning where they had been seeing a group of six rams the days before. He spotted the group approximately 40 yards below them in some steep rocks but could not see the entire group. The party decided to wait them out and let the rams start down the hill as they had the days previous. The wind shifted on them and the rams caught their scent and quickly ran down the ridge. My buddy setup on a steady rest while his brother gave him range. The group of six stopped just before the next ridge and he called out 271 yards to one of the nicer rams in the group. The shot was behind the ribs on a hard quartering shot that exited just in front of the opposite shoulder. The ram hunched up and fell within 15 yards.

MikesRam08-18-10.jpg

The biologist scored it at 159 7/8 which he was very pleased with. Congrats to Mike on his once in a lifetime Oregon Ram.

Tell your friend congrats on drawing the tag and great job on planning and executing the hunt. One of my dream hunts.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.