Oregon archery hunter gored in neck, killed by wounded elk

I was hunting just a few miles from where this happened that morning and going back this weekend. I didn't find any humor or reason to ridicule this hunter for what happened. Most likely he did everything right, just got caught in a bad situation. I feel for him and his family. We can all learn from this...even the "expert" hunters that never make mistakes.
I'm with you, what a tragic loss, the next minute is never promised and I for one try to learn something new everyday

For a few seasons there was a short but intense elk season in my area that became know for producing exceptional bulls. Although short, it coincided with the height of the rut and provided some very competitive hunting. Occasionally when a big bull bugled it would be descended upon by a number of hunters and many shots would ring out. In these cases, often the first person to arrive at the carcass and claim it became the owner - but not without an argument. On one occasion a friend of mine won the race, straddled the downed animal, and pulled his knife to cut the animals throat, with the full intention of reinforcing his claim. Unfortunately, the bull wasn't quite dead. Fortunately, my friend had some rodeo experience and it was put to good use in the moments that followed. The mighty effort by the bull was short-lived because my friend weighed over 250 pounds and the wounds it received were substantial, but after the story got around the rest of us were spooked big time. Approaching downed animals, especially large ones, is dangerous. I've seen badly wounded moose turn and drop their heads as if to charge when discovered in their hiding place, requiring quick follow up shots. This may be why I have never tried bow hunting.

I've killed 33 animals with a bow. Many more with a gun. All had horns or antlers. Yet to be gored. I really hope that there is no need to repeat how to approach a downed animal 101 here.

Hope somebody gets "the rest of the story".

Those who hunt Elk with a bow know that the best shot is to "double lung" one. Elk have survived with a one lung hit.
Are you related to a guy from Florida that goes by the name Stiltsville?

Well it Looks as if Happy has succeeded in his quest to get banned ......... 33 days, that may be a new record, I apologize if I offended anyone but he has been in several threads that I was in and he had the same demeanor everywhere, Its a shame that a mans death doing something that we all love turned in to this conversation, once again my sincerest apologies if I upset anyone
Bean

Well it Looks as if Happy has succeeded in his quest to get banned ......... 33 days, that may be a new record, I apologize if I offended anyone but he has been in several threads that I was in and he had the same demeanor everywhere, Its a shame that a mans death doing something that we all love turned in to this conversation, once again my sincerest apologies if I upset anyone
Bean
Good morning bean don't worry I don't think your comments upset anyone I felt exactly as you did but I just try not to comment to any kind of scuff

Bean
I don't think you upset anyone but him. That needed to be done. No apology needed.

You know never hunted in anything like that terrain, but someone posted a pic on another forum and it looked worse than triple canopy jungle. Very easy to see how things could go wrong in a hurry. Don't even see how you could draw a bow in the midst of all the brush. So sorry for his family.

I used to live in Western WA. I had the same thing happen but I didn;t get gored. I was trailing the bull when he charged me out of thick brush with his horns down to gore me, luckily for me I was right beside a tree and stepped to it. He went right on by and kept going. I later tracked him and finished him. I was hunting by myself that day could have been a dim memory as it would take a lot for them to find you in that brush as you can almost step on them before you see them.

Prayers for his family.

I've killed 33 animals with a bow. Many more with a gun. All had horns or antlers. Yet to be gored. I really hope that there is no need to repeat how to approach a downed animal 101 here.

Hope somebody gets "the rest of the story".

Those who hunt Elk with a bow know that the best shot is to "double lung" one. Elk have survived with a one lung hit.

I exclusively bow hunted for 10 years and refused to even take a rifle. I killed a lot of animals; antlered, horned, tusked, and spurred. Bow hunters must play a very deliberate and diligent game. There is little room for error.

My practice sessions were 20 and 30 yards, a dozen consecutive arrows in a 1 inch circle before quitting. I have even shot a turkey in the head. Even with that level of accuracy, the smallest field elements that the bow hunter fails to recognize can result in a less than desirable hit.

I am saddened to learn of this hunter's fate which was likely the result of inadequate deliberation and diligence.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.