ordered my first wet tumbler, Couple questions

I ordered the Frankford arsenal lite, media pins, Frankford brass cleaner and Frankford media separator. I have never wet tumbled before so I have a couple questions. For rifle brass I will be sizing and depriming before tumbling. With cob/walnut tumbling....this could be problematic as the media would get stuck in the flash holes. Does this happen with the metal media? For pistol brass, I will be skipping the sizing a depriming step before cleaning as I use a progressive press and do not care about ultimate reliability or accuracy in my hand guns for plinking. Do I need to worry about water remaining in the primers/flashole since I wont be depriming them or will they dry out fine in warm temperatures (I will be drying in a food dehydrator). Any other considerations I should make? Thanks!
Make sure you only use distilled water. Anything else will cause deposits, therefore possibly obstructing the primer pockets. I've have used mine many times without having a single failure. Make sure you have a through rinse, and you will be good. Then let them completely dry on a towel.

I use RCBS Ultrasonic Case Cleaning Solution (RCBS Part# 87058). I started out using RCBS Sidewinder Case Cleaning Solution but, RCBS discontinued that and recommended using the ultrasonic solution as a replacement. Also, I see people talking about using distilled water due to hard water spotting. I haven't had that problem since I have been drying the brass in the Hornady Brass Dryer. The dryer can be picked up for less than $40 and is well worth the money.

I have been using the pins for two years and have never had any issues with them getting stuck in primer pockets. However, I use Frankford Arsenals Wet/Dry Media Separator to separate the pins from the cases when they are finished tumbling. This separator has a drain in the bottom so you can either use it outdoors with a garden hose or in a bathtub/shower to rinse the brass. I will then dry the brass but I usually just leave the pins in the bottom of the separator to dry.

Big, if you have a compressor, try compressed air on the cases to dry them. Well rinsed cases will not have any residue or spots. I leave them on a big tray for a day or two to make sure they're dry enough to load. Really like wet/stainless tumbling, primer pockets, and inside of cases like new.
I love my wet Tumblr i use the pins that it came with it yes several cases are full of pins when I'm done I don't recall any ever being stuck never had one in the flash hole when They come out of the wet Tumblr i use a heat gun and dry them 3 to 5 minutes they're fairly warm to the touch their completely dry then they go in the vibratory Tumblr with walnut hull media and a little bit of white diamond metal polish after they come out of that they are blown out with compressed air I don't actually hear of too many people using compressed air and it just doesn't make sense to me I've never had any problems with the pins Doing it this way and the brass is unbelievable it looks like gold
B96962E6-3979-469A-8031-67A7B64803FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Make sure you only use distilled water. Anything else will cause deposits, therefore possibly obstructing the primer pockets. I've have used mine many times without having a single failure. Make sure you have a through rinse, and you will be good. Then let them completely dry on a towel.
I have never use distilled water and had good results with my process my water comes straight out of the ground very cold as I hit a spring vain but it is hard no softener what so ever I always use very warm water dump out the Tumblr fill it again with warm water tumble for five more minutes then dump it out again and the rest of my process is in my previous post

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.