Optics for out west

I have never messed with Leupold stuff, but been very pleased with my HD LHT. I'd buy another in a heartbeat for the application you are thinking of.

When I went out west a few years ago I took a FFP vortex HSLR in 2.5-10 with the XLR Christmas tree reticle. My thinking then was my max distance would be 600 yards and a scope that didn't require dialing was appealing just for simplicity and reliability sake. I've since gone to the HD LHT and not regretted that either.

Because there are way too many reports of those brands/ models having mechanical failures of various types. For scenarios where I am unlikely to get another opportunity, that is not a risk I'm comfortable with.

I also live in pa, and hunt elk in the west. The cost of one nonresident elk tag is more than the cost to sell and upgrade one of your scopes.
Thank you for the clarification, I've not had as extensive experience as many guys on here so I like to hear any and all accounts. A guy in our hunting group runs a Montana in .300WM with Talley mounts and a Swarovski Z3 with great success. I've got a few Trijicons but they are older. None of the new stuff seems much different than a lot of the other brands to me. I've played with the SHVs and they seem like a great scope. I owned two different NXS 5.5-22x56mm and neither were as good as the Razors in terms of glass quality and performance in low light. Not sure if the cheaper SHV would stack up as well. It is worth noting I do plan to shoot the hell out of this rifle and iron out any issues I may find with optics, mounts and loads so hopefully if any issues are going to arise, I will find them before my hunt.

If you really want to know how durable they are, or how well they hold zero, drop test them along with your tall target and box tests. That's the shortcut to finding scope issues.

I would use the Razor LHT. If you're practicing to 400+ yards you can dial, but also have very functional reticle for hold-overs. Despite what some folks would have you believe, Leupold and Vortex scopes don't all explode the second you touch the elevation dial. The 2-10s are also fantastic, but your listed 3-15 options will give you parallax adjustment and the option for a little closer look if you want it. Any of the scopes you own will work just fine. You can always mount each of them and shoot them out to your max range and see which one you like best.
Great point. I plan to spend a significant amount of time shooting it before I take it and may just have to swap a few to try them out.

If you're going to buy a Leupold, get one with CDZ and zero stop. One thing you don't understand if you've only hunted in PA is how far the distances can be in the west. 300 yards looks like right next door!
Personally I also get the WindPlex reticle.
I don't think you understand folks in PA and southern tier N,Y, 600-1000 yd kills on woodchucks is common,twice size of a football.

I hunt in Wyoming and New Mexico (from Georgia) with a Kimber Montana 280AI with a Leupold VX6 2-12 with the CDS-ZL dial. The dial is set for the Hornady Precision Hunter 162 ELDX. I suggest a modern version Leupold with the CDS-ZL dial - VX3, 5, or 6. At least 3-9 but 4 to 14ish might be better. I wanted a lighter scope to go with the lighter rifle for covering distance.

I shoot PRS and have plenty of heavy rifles with heavy scopes.

Recent Posts