Optics for Bighorn / Elk

M_freeman

I'll be spending some time in a part of Arizona that has produced record trophy Bighorn Sheep as well as an area that has produced monster bull elk. I am wanting to spend some time doing prehunt private mapping and photography for the lucky hunters that drawed for these hunts. I have about $1700 to spend on binos, scope and tripod.I have Zen ED 10x43 now, I like them but my style is much more handholding than tripod for binos I am thinking of new Zen Ray ED2 7x36 then for a scope it must be digital SLR capable. I am thinking a Nikon, Minox or Pentax 65 mm objective (80mm?) ED glass and a 15x45 range zoom eyepiece. Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated.​

A good pair of 12 or 15x binos and tripod will serve you way better for long range glassing in the west. I would look for a quality tripod and head (outdoorsman/vortex/bogen) and look at the Vortex Kiabab 15x binos. They are spot on for the money! staring into cheap binos for hours will give you head aches. The Lieca/Ziess/Swaros in the 12-15x range are going to be a budget busting $2ks plus. Possibly look at a jim white tripler to add to your binos for evaluating game quality after spotting. If you can not stomach the cost of a new scope as well. Good hunting!

I am going to start off with a Vortex 80mm HD spotter good tripod and head.
Use my current 10x binos and if that don't work out move up to some good 15x The 10x aren't too bad of FOV up closer and if I have the spotter as much as I want to use binos for that little farther range thna 10x can do I'll try the scope for that and see how it goes. Excited about digiscoping some trophies.

Thats a pretty good plan. If you are happy with the quality of the 10s by all means! have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.