Optics for out west

G19Jeeper

Bought a Kimber Montana .280AI off a member on here for a entry into a western hunting rifle as well as for the PA mountains here. Since western hunting has only been a dream up to this point, I am looking for insight on optics. I am planning to do an Elk or Mulie hunt after graduation. I am not overly picky about weight when it comes to PA hunting but it seems I should be out west. This brings me to the question, what optics should go on it? I want to pick something I already own that won't be too bulky so the VX5HD 3-15x56 is out.
Listed are choices I already own
-VX5HD 2-10x42 Non-CDS
-Razor LHT 3-15x42 Mils
-VX5HD 3-15x44 Duplex
-Razor LH 2-10x42 I can pull off the CZ .17HMR

That gun is sub 6 lbs based on the website and I'd run Talleys or the Leupold Back Country Ringmounts. I'm thinking 10 power minimum so I narrowed it to these 4. The ability to dial would be nice but I plan to practice out to 400+ Regardless to really learn it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
I have a couple Zeiss conquest v4 4-16x44s. They've served me well and taken a beating. They only weigh like 19oz I think. Maybe take a look at those too.

If you're going to buy a Leupold, get one with CDZ and zero stop. One thing you don't understand if you've only hunted in PA is how far the distances can be in the west. 300 yards looks like right next door!
Personally I also get the WindPlex reticle.

I would use the Razor LHT. If you're practicing to 400+ yards you can dial, but also have very functional reticle for hold-overs. Despite what some folks would have you believe, Leupold and Vortex scopes don't all explode the second you touch the elevation dial. The 2-10s are also fantastic, but your listed 3-15 options will give you parallax adjustment and the option for a little closer look if you want it. Any of the scopes you own will work just fine. You can always mount each of them and shoot them out to your max range and see which one you like best.

Your list looks like my avoid list. Check out swfa, nightforce shv f1, and ffp trijicon tenmiles or credos for your application.
Those are some tough but heavy scopes. As such, the list looks like the "scopes too heavy for a light rifle" for me. His original request mentioned concern about weight. 25-30 oz scopes vs 15-18 oz scopes are two different categories.

I have used several Zeiss scopes with great success as well.

I am curious why, these are scope I already own and can pick from and I was trying not to have to buy another
Because there are way too many reports of those brands/ models having mechanical failures of various types. For scenarios where I am unlikely to get another opportunity, that is not a risk I'm comfortable with.

I also live in pa, and hunt elk in the west. The cost of one nonresident elk tag is more than the cost to sell and upgrade one of your scopes.

Those are some tough but heavy scopes. As such, the list looks like the "scopes too heavy for a light rifle" for me. His original request mentioned concern about weight. 25-30 oz scopes vs 15-18 oz scopes are two different categories.

I have used several Zeiss scopes with great success as well.
It's a list of the lightest tough scopes I know of. Why should a light rifle be further handicapped with an unreliable scope? They're already a compromise in shootability to hit an arbitrary weight goal.

It's a list of the lightest tough scopes I know of. Why should a light rifle be further handicapped with an unreliable scope? They're already a compromise in shootability to hit an arbitrary weight goal.
Many have not had any issues with reliability of Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc. Making a broad statement about them really isn't that helpful.
I find other brands to be clearer and more user friendly than Vortex, so I've come to not use them for that reason, not reliability. I just find scopes I like better for the same price.
The heavy scopes can also really throw off the balance of a sporting-weight rifle.
And define shootability. Heavy rifles are great for making long shots, but horrible to drag around, put on shooting sticks, and use other than prone. Do I own them? Yes. Do I use them? Not much any more. I find sporter-weight rifles much easier for the hunting I do. YMMV.