Opening day Antelope

Iron Worker

Is the back strap and and the tenderloin the same thing ? Last Sunday 8/22 I shot a nice Antelope near alfalfa ,shot in the neck. . Received the cuts from butcher yesterday, one package labeled tenderloin and the others Back strap and Leg steak. Then many antelope burger . I broiled up the tenderloin and back strap ,sprinkled salt and garlic salt. Cooked them to medium rare, they were good, but still beef is better . Any recipes for antelope steak ? Also I just made up some hamburger helper with the antelope burger. It paled in comparison to beef or ground pork . Any recipes for the antelope burger ?

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 127
I broiled up the tenderloin and back strap ,sprinkled salt and garlic salt. Cooked them to medium rare, they were good, but still beef is better . Any recipes for antelope steak ? Also I just made up some hamburger helper with the antelope burger. It paled in comparison to beef or ground pork . Any recipes for the antelope burger ?
GTFO....
Actually, just send it my way. I will get you a $100 gift card for Walmart to go buy some burger.

I just cut up our NM pronghorn. I cut my ground 70% game/30% USDA choice ribeye roast to add fat. Helps with both moisture and adds a bit of flavor.
As for steaks, I wrap in bacon and reverse sear. Amazing.
20210822_172325.jpg

20210822_172338.jpg

Last edited:
Is the back strap and and the tenderloin the same thing ? Last Sunday 8/22 I shot a nice Antelope near alfalfa ,shot in the neck. . Received the cuts from butcher yesterday, one package labeled tenderloin and the others Back strap and Leg steak. Then many antelope burger . I broiled up the tenderloin and back strap ,sprinkled salt and garlic salt. Cooked them to medium rare, they were good, but still beef is better . Any recipes for antelope steak ? Also I just made up some hamburger helper with the antelope burger. It paled in comparison to beef or ground pork . Any recipes for the antelope burger ?
I love to make goulash with my ground meat from anything I get😋
The kids love sloppy Joes that I make from it as well.

The tenderloin and backstrap are not the same. Tenderloins never make it to the processing place regardless of the game.

I am not sure why you are comparing it to beef because they are not from the same family. Perhaps you should try hunting for feral cows instead.

I do not do recipes but I have few posts on antelope in this forum.

Pronghorn is not beef, as others have already said. It will taste as different from beef as chicken does. Get the recipe book called "Buck, Buck, Moose" or any other game recipe book and try them. When grinding pronghorn meat for burgers on the grill, I like to add 10 percent bacon ends and pieces to help i hold together. Just remember you are eating pronghorn, not beef, rabbit, emu or groundhog and you will be good.

Pronghorn is not beef, as others have already said. It will taste as different from beef as chicken does. Get the recipe book called "Buck, Buck, Moose" or any other game recipe book and try them. When grinding pronghorn meat for burgers on the grill, I like to add 10 percent bacon ends and pieces to help i hold together. Just remember you are eating pronghorn, not beef, rabbit, emu or groundhog and you will be good.
Never tasted an antelope that I thought was palatable. My excellent cook wife tried about every way possible. My "goat" nowdays ends up being jerky.

I like jerky. I had a very bad tasting and hard to chew goat many years back. It stunk so bad everybody went outside when I cooked it. I never shot another one that running or had just been run again. I usually shoot one that has been bedded down for a while if possible.

Just like any other animal, how antelope meat tastes has everything to what they are eating in their habitat. They are goats so they'll eat just about anything. Therefor I am very particular on where I will hunt them. I will NOT hunt them in areas where they have sage brush and other stinky weeds to eat. They taste awful. Now up where I do like to hunt them is nothing but prairie grass and farmers wheat fields. The antelope that come out of there are one of the best tasting meats there is.

I can see your antelope is in some ugly brushy country. Probably eating on some nasty stuff is why it doesn't taste that great

Just like any other animal, how antelope meat tastes has everything to what they are eating in their habitat. They are goats so they'll eat just about anything. Therefor I am very particular on where I will hunt them. I will NOT hunt them in areas where they have sage brush and other stinky weeds to eat. They taste awful. Now up where I do like to hunt them is nothing but prairie grass and farmers wheat fields. The antelope that come out of there are one of the best tasting meats there is.

I can see your antelope is in some ugly brushy country. Probably eating on some nasty stuff is why it doesn't taste that great
He was feeding on Alfalfa

Interesting, I've never shot one in an alfalfa field...

I also like to cut up my own meat because if you take full a carcass to a meat processor, they will leave all the fat, tendons, and sinew in the meat because they are al about getting things done as fast as possible. Time is money. Then it all leeches into the meat as it cooks and makes it have that bad "gamey" taste. Some of the bad butchers will also cut up a bunch of different animals from different hunters when they get really busy then just divvy up the meat evenly so you may not be getting the actual animal you killed.

If you have a trusted butcher, it's still best to at least remove all the meat from the bones while cutting out as much fat, sinew, and tendons as possible before taking it on for final processing and packaging. It will make a world of difference in the taste with any type of animal.

I don't claim to have a bunch of experience... just shot one antelope. Anyway, mine smelled like sagebrush, even the cut meat, but a friend said some it in milk and it completely removed the smell and taste of sagebrush and left great tasting meat.