Smoked antelope backstrap

Elkeater

Rub with kosher salt, pepper, garlic and onion and bacon grease. Let sit for 24 hours in the fridge. In the smoker at 300 degrees til it hits 155 degrees internal temp. Slice and enjoy.

Tastes better than brisket in my opinion. And it is crazy tender.

1EB5C434-C436-4057-8E57-53EC28002E7D.jpeg

AFB27E0B-213E-4F24-B6F8-3B98C0046676.jpeg

I marinade the rump in dr pepper, dash of garlic powder, chopped onion, and Tony's seasoning for 24 hours then smoke..I leave the tenderloins and backstrap for tenderloin medallions.

Ya I used to just eat the back straps as medallions but we eat 4-6 wild critters (deer, antelope, elk, whatever else I can get a tag for)per year at my house so the wife gets tired of "steak again?". Still eat most of them as steaks or kabobs wrapped in bacon.

Ya I used to just eat the back straps as medallions but we eat 4-6 wild critters (deer, antelope, elk, whatever else I can get a tag for)per year at my house so the wife gets tired of "steak again?". Still eat most of them as steaks or kabobs wrapped in bacon.
Oh, never really thought of kabobs, wife and kiddos love kabobs- gonna hav ta try that

morning, Question, I have talked to persons who have shot
speed goats. the question of taste when cooked in various ways.
this is my experience. the people I ask about taste say
goat is dry and taste terrible. now my question is the diet
of the goats make a difference in the taste of the meat?
justme gbot tum

So this is my opinion on goats. They all taste awesome! I've shot them in central Colorado, NW Colorado, and north central WY. They have all tasted great. Here is the problem with antelope I think. We tend to hunt and kill them when it's hot out and don't take care of the meat as well as we should.

When it comes to hunting I'm a carnivore first. Take for instance the doe antelope i shot with my muzzleloader this year. It was a sunny 80 degrees when I shot her at noon. I I had the hide off and her quarters on my back within about 20 minutes. Then I hauled butt to town 6 miles away and got her on ice as fast as I could. That one tastes delicious.

At my house antelope ranks pretty close to elk when it comes to table fare.

So this is my opinion on goats. They all taste awesome! I've shot them in central Colorado, NW Colorado, and north central WY. They have all tasted great. Here is the problem with antelope I think. We tend to hunt and kill them when it's hot out and don't take care of the meat as well as we should.

When it comes to hunting I'm a carnivore first. Take for instance the doe antelope i shot with my muzzleloader this year. It was a sunny 80 degrees when I shot her at noon. I I had the hide off and her quarters on my back within about 20 minutes. Then I hauled butt to town 6 miles away and got her on ice as fast as I could. That one tastes delicious.

At my house antelope ranks pretty close to elk when it comes to table fare.

+1 on all of this! I thought diet was so critical for lope, but as Elkeater noted, even WY sage critters are delish. Our hunt in CO is also during warmer weather. Bleeding out, skin removal and cooling asap is critical. Also critical in preparing any game, is the thorough removal of ANY silverskin on the meat. The tiniest piece will impart a game flavor. I tried to recreate a Chateaubriand that I had once in Switz, with an antelope rump roast (this is usually done with loin). It came out unbelievable and one would find it hard to figure if it was loin or rump roast. Regards and keep up the great cooking.

morning, my opinion, any game meat that taste like elk or moose,
is very tasty. the preparation of the meat is very important.
TY for the knowledgeable info. justme gbot tum

Antelope is our favorite game meat. Tender and moist. Never had a bad bite of lope. As stated above, yank the hide off and cool down immediately. Grilled or smoked is best. Kabobs are out of this world.

morning, Question, I have talked to persons who have shot
speed goats. the question of taste when cooked in various ways.
this is my experience. the people I ask about taste say
goat is dry and taste terrible. now my question is the diet
of the goats make a difference in the taste of the meat?
justme gbot tum
Here is my take on goats. Get the hide off as fast as you can. The lanolin in the hide can undergo reverse osmosis. Lol.
I quarter em up right in the field. They usually go into a big cooler that we got bbq grate in th keep the meat off melting ice. Try to butcher the next day.
I have shot some rutty stinkers, in sage to alfalfa fields. I like em best off the greener feed.
A June antelope is the best, right after greenup. But them are tricky to come by;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.