One scope to do it all.....

Sharpshooter243

I am think about getting one really nice scope for a 2 rem 700's on in 300mag and 243 win also a 260 xp-100r pistol. What kind of power range should i be looking at...I do alot of long range shooting @500+ yds. I wish I could afford a nightforce but that is out of the question so which major scope brands so i be looking at?

I have a 280 that is my all-purpose carry gun. It wears a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40. I had the Leupold Custom Shop add M1 tactical knobs and a TMR reticle. 4.5x magnification is good for the up-close work and 14x is good enough for the long shots (I killed a groundhog at 575 this year - no trouble). Although I juuuuust missed, I took a shot at a groundhog at 907. With the scope at 14x, I could see the hog clearly.

More simply, there are two issues for you....

1. Magnification Range - for an all purpose scope you need a low enough magnification to handle shots that will be up close, but with sufficient magnification for the looooong shots. 4x to 14x is good.

2. Quality of Glass - magnification won't go far if you can't see threw the scope. Buy the best glass you can afford.

Last edited:
I second the 4.5-14 for a great do it all carry scope. I'd opt for a 40 to 50mm bell.

I too have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with the CDS system on it . I have a 200 yds. zero and it's dead on out to 800 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.