Narrowed it down to three, Lets make it One

Jacq

this is going to be going on a savage american classic in .270 winchester which will probably get a barrel swap at some point in time to a .260 remington. rifle will be glassed in when it arrives so i am expecting 1moa accuracy out of it.

my wife who is an amateur shooter will be using this rifle to hunt antelope in wyoming, and boar in florida.

will be taking some 600 yard plus shots while plinking, possibly while hunting (depends on the results from plinking)

looking at the trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 mildot. pro's illuminated reticle i think will help the wife but is not a dealbreaker for me. i am very fond of trijicon. resettable turrets allow me to dial if needed. cons limited to 9 power. somewhat short eye relief.

oBHjOt3ds-CitfYxTgDKnByNckcB7LHhTjydvQkAJS3-1KZZJzBeg_AU2_kMbDUNUt6d7kk2pXUim4ZZ0Sww3Zs9yN-uZA0UbI4rhOfnRFTPaBl26xI30Cp5BHiA3YtjIzf4lx2BiovZx4kzKZSBgirkgw

another option is the vortex viper 4-12x40 i like the bdc reticle for simplicity of holdoffs even if the distances are odd distances. there isnt alot of clutter in the reticle. 12 power is a decent top end, and i like the way the power settings are visible w/out loosing cheek weld. this is my cheapest option. cons, i have read in several places that this has a "tunnel" effect although i have not looked through one myself. this is a absolute turn off because i doubt the wife would ever get used to it.

w2kawMCZGIpGiS7szC3YFyO9QgycZR41KNNtSs8rVMKexKpOegGZ45xlpc6vgpZQ05shqcyhRFZKBdpODz4KORS7wk8va2QRxRTrP3sHcUqBPTnzZx0sOiAxdLx4T4x6v18t5XqrpYQsQYM4IpKJFis1IyTUWbDgQ93gULJWQ9gUjo_z1laiy4eGw04khV2afvWDy5GRYbnLmgw

the last option is the busnell elite 6200 2.5-16x42 mildot. although the most expensive this one is at the top of the list at the moment. 4 inches of eye relief and great fields of view will help the wife significantly. 16 power can be used for scanning if needed. mildots for hold offs. resettable turrets can be used do dial if needed i think. i know the accupoint has lines on the turret to mark the number of revolultions, i dont know if the bushnell has this. 30mm tube for plenty of adjustment. the only concern would be how big the reticle is on 16 power if it will wash out the target or not.

!B8PVJfg!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lsEy+jC0NswBM2dN28rQg~~0_35.JPG

this will be a buy once cry once, but the 6200 is towards the top end of my budget. i dont want to go over 42mm objective if possible. i am not opposed to looking at other options, but now that you know where i stand, give me all the feedback you desire.

I would look at the vortex 4-12. I have a bushnell elite 4200 in 2.5-10. I havent used a vortex but I'm not very impressed with the bushnell. I have heard many people state how reliable the and clear the vortex are, better than leupold. Shooting my bushnell side by side my dads leupold VX-II, the leupold is so much more clear and nicer to shoot. So if the vortex is better than a leupold than its better than the bushnell. I was going to buy the vortex viper 6.5-20 when they were on sale for 249 but missed the deal. Also instead of the 260 since you're already on a long action look at the 6.5-06 you would get slightly better ballistics.

I finished a 22-250 for my wife this summer.

I bought the Vortex 4-12 as I caught it on sale.

I was a little leery as I had no experience with them.

Once received, I really am impressed.

I like it as well as my Conquest as far as clarity. At least to my eyes...

Have not used it in field in low light yet.

The Vortex would be my suggestion of the three.

PS, I immediately ordered another Vortex myself for another rifle i had.

The illuminated reticle of the Trijicon is nice, but with the ranges you are talking about, go with the Bushnell. The zoom range is everything. You have low power for shooting hogs in cover & 16 power for long-range antelope.

I'm not sure by your post if you live in Florida or out west? but if your primary residence is Fla. and hunt hogs a lot. Which is usually done in thick cover and low light, why are you handicapping yourself with a 40mm objective lens? you should want at least a 50mm objective lens in those conditions to get the best use of the available light.

I would look real hard at the Vortex. They are tough to beat for the money. Between myself and a couple buddies, we have 5 Vortex scopes in service with good satisfaction. I would want to personally look through all three before dropping the cash. Everyone has different preferences.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.