One hole group then 1/2”??

Chad717

shooting a 6mmAI 87grn Vmax H4831sc, I've done a lot of reloading and never seen a gun do this, shot a one hole group at 100 yards, within 15 minutes loaded 3 more same with brass of the same lot and it shot a 1/2" group, this gun has done this on two different occasions. Does it not like the powder, bad bedding? This is a custom rifle. Anyone else have this happen and find out why?

So many reasons this could happen. Wind, trigger break, bullet weight variation, brass volume variation, bullet seating depth. What does your 1/2" group look like? One flier or all shots dispersed?

Usually when this happens to me...It's me. :oops: Usually because I don't hold the rifle the same when I settle into it 15 minutes latter.
Not saying it's not possible but I shoot a lot and have shot several one hole groups with careful reloading. Something is going on with the load or gun. I'll try some other loads and probably get it but just thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem.

So many reasons this could happen. Wind, trigger break, bullet weight variation, brass volume variation, bullet seating depth. What does your 1/2" group look like? One flier or all shots dispersed?
Zero wind, 8oz trigger, all 3 shots in a diagonal touching.

I had issues with my pet load on my pet rifle all of a sudden losing accuracy. It ended up being the scope ring was loose on the base (Optilock rings for a Sako) but wasn't noticeable until I removed the scope. It drove me crazy for about a month until I figured it out. Check your action screws, too. The scope mounts are the most likely weak link, or maybe you just had a bad day shooting. Heck, Jordan didn't have triple doubles every game and didn't sink all the final buzzer beater shots to win:D

I have a Rem 700 22/250 VSF. With my best load it will shoot .3-.4 five shot groups all day long.Having said that there are days when it will shoot .5-.6. This is me. Just like any other sport you can't be at your best every day. Some days you get on the pool table and just can't lose, other days not so good. I guess that is the difference between us and the pros,that are at the top of their game most of the time.

I entertained that idea but then I got a friend, who happens to have more good days than me, try my rifle and confirm the .3-.4.

One thing I didn't try is the 10 shot group. Good idea

I would say either rich or barrelnut is right. It's most likely a little of both. If you shot a one hole group your load is probably made. Try ten shots and see how it does, but I've had it happen, that's why shooting groups is a difficult way to determine loads. Margin of error is tiny.

it's a really really good gun that always makes .25moa groups. .5moa is **** good. That's 4" at 800 yds. Honestly, it's probably what your gun shoots. .5 to .3 is a hair difference. I would load up your ammo and do your shooting.

Not saying it's not possible but I shoot a lot and have shot several one hole groups with careful reloading. Something is going on with the load or gun. I'll try some other loads and probably get it but just thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem.
How many shots?
The fact a few went into one hole doesn't mean the rifle (or the shooter) can repeat that at will.

Start firing some 20 round groups if you want a true idea of the accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.