Olympic National Park Goat Culling Oportunity.

That actually happened a few years ago. An older gentleman and his two friends were hiking around Hurricane Ridge when a billy that was known to be aggressive gored him. He died from the injury shortly afterward.

I've had them in my camp in the Cascades a few times. After that story came out in the news, made me a bit more wary of them. This guy came through my camp in the Enchantments over by Snow Lake. He was just a few feet from me.

View attachment 186446
Look at the physical shape this guy is in. Wowie. It's like steroids!

What weight and shoulder height is this goat? From the photo he looks mule deer size, but muscle mass is distintive.

I don't know the weight, but his shoulder was over 4 feet in height. Just below my chest and I'm 5'9". I remember thinking at the time that he was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger. We all gave him his space as he ambled through our campsite.

This was during one of my Summer backpacking trips, so he wasn't on the menu due to season and location. 😁

That said, the idea of a 10day high country hunt for goat sound fun. I am getting to the age where I don't know how many years I have left to give this a go. Let alone draw a goat tag.

I agree that they should not be wiped out. Let them live and sell trophy tags.
You better get on this now if you want to hunt goats. That Kodiak Island goat hunt I had 2 years ago almost killed me. Halfway through the 7 hour hike in, I would have paid any amount of money to have a helicopter pluck me off the mountain. After it was all done, I have to say it was one hell of an experience and I had never been challenged like that in my life, from both a physical and mental aspect.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.