Ok to shoot in national forests?

Jeffpatton00

I'm seeking places to shoot longer range in the Seattle area, do I remember that shooting is permissible in national forests? I'm looking for both distance and terrain changes to practice wind reading. Is it "open season", or are there requirements which must be met, i.e., only shooting in selected areas, or checking in with the local ranger before shooting, etc? thx

You can shoot in the NF. In some circumstances they may not allow shooting in extreme fire conditions. Like right now, no campfires are allowed.
Finding a place to shoot long range in the NF in the NW is not as easy as it used to be due to the lack of logging. Most places you cannot even see 100 yards anymore.
Try looking on Google Earth for recent logged areas. Also try to get to higher altitude, up into the alpine areas.

Legal, yes. But be wary of others and know 100% your backdrop and what you're shooting across/through. I've seen people shoot from one road across to a road that they thought was blocked off, only to have a car roll through their shooting lane.

In general safety principles I would avoid it in high or extreme fire danger

Shooting across public roads is an issue unto itself.
Some states prohibit shooting across public roads.
Others like PA. for example, allow it so long as you are shooting above the line of traffic.
If you know where to look while traveling on Interstate 80, you are apt to see long range hunters set up and glassing the sidehills on the opposite side of that highway.

The thing to remember is that public land is open to the public.
All of the public, and that even includes the hunting seasons.
Point is to be ready for opposition, because chances are you will have some.
You betcha! Lots of people out there now who think they are public land rangers and will hassle you for shooting on public land because they don't think you're being safe enough. I have to keep going farther and farther out to get away, what used to be a quick 10 minute drive now has turned into 45 minutes

For national forest, check locally.

In Colorado for national forest, it's mostly open, but they have restrictions on recreational shooting in high recreation areas outside of hunting seasons. Not sure in your location, but it's best to check first if you are unsure.