Ok to shoot in national forests?

My dad had a pretty senior role in the Forest Service.
Even 35+ years ago he asked. Drop in is best, talking to someone wearing boots is better than front desk.
To be fair, he had a slightly different network than the general public and he was likely covering his own rear end b/c of his job, but he's told me up to this day to check in to ensure your not going to end up in trouble.

With the 'public' part of it they can also steer you away from trails, or places where people or activity tends to be which can avoid you being visted by a LEO.

Personally, i find less issues the BLM. The NF around here has too much activity going on .

Last edited:
Thx for this, and your profile pic cracks me up.
I'd also make sure it's okay for you to be out there shooting during hunting season. I'd stay out of the woods even if it's allowed. It'll probably be crowded and you might get some pretty upset hunters if you accidentally spoil their hunt.

Check with the local Sheriff's office, here in California in my county, if someone complains they will respond, I've been kicked out 3 times now, the 1st and 2nd time the same deputy responded, A spot I'd been shooting at for nearly 3 decades as did half the county, the 1st time the deputy was a real Adam Henry, the 2nd time he was a lot less pleasant about the whole thing, informed me I would be ticketed if it happened again, the 3rd time I was confronted by the Forrest service, again I was threatened if it happened again, I was shooting at the end of a service road, shooting into the bank across a small draw, which had seasonal runoff flowing down it, ( late April ) it likely would have dried up within a weeks time, I was informed that it is illegal to shoot over a water way, plus I had parked my truck more than half a vehicle width of the road, she took both my drivers and hunting license information plus recorded my license plate, I was told now that I was in the system and it happened again I would be ticketed and fined, in my state of nearly 40 million people its hard to stay out of hearing range of some huckleberry with a cell phone, each time I was detained for a hour or more,

Check with the local Sheriff's office, here in California in my county, if someone complains they will respond, I've been kicked out 3 times now, the 1st and 2nd time the same deputy responded, A spot I'd been shooting at for nearly 3 decades as did half the county, the 1st time the deputy was a real Adam Henry, the 2nd time he was a lot less pleasant about the whole thing, informed me I would be ticketed if it happened again, the 3rd time I was confronted by the Forrest service, again I was threatened if it happened again, I was shooting at the end of a service road, shooting into the bank across a small draw, which had seasonal runoff flowing down it, ( late April ) it likely would have dried up within a weeks time, I was informed that it is illegal to shoot over a water way, plus I had parked my truck more than half a vehicle width of the road, she took both my drivers and hunting license information plus recorded my license plate, I was told now that I was in the system and it happened again I would be ticketed and fined, in my state of nearly 40 million people its hard to stay out of hearing range of some huckleberry with a cell phone, each time I was detained for a hour or more,
I personally think your 3 decades of usage should trump whoever is complaining.

Check with the local Sheriff's office, here in California in my county, if someone complains they will respond,

Typically, you'll see this in areas where civilization is encroaching into the NF. El Dorado and Tahoe NF are good examples and sheriff's will respond. These forests are high use and it can be tough to disappear to shoot.
Checking with the Sheriff isn't bad.

El Dorado had a real peach of a LEO about 10-15 years back that was known for confiscating rifles and stepping over boundries when he was stopping shooters. He ticketed me for shooting across a old road. For a visual, the road had small trees growing from the road and had been closed for over 20 years.

Two funny endings to that one.
First, the ticket went away. The bummer was the district ranger knew the guy was a problem and knew I had stopped by to ask about the location because he mentioned how clean my newly rebuilt White's boots were.
Second, Bret had replaced the barrel on the rifle I was shooting that he threatened to confiscate.