Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes to the tinfoil hat,,, I hear messages from outer space telling me,,,

"""Don,,, buy a 6.5...""" Ha...

That and continue chasing Kows while riding my Shetland pony... """Glick Glick,,, giddy up little pony,,, the Kows are getting awaaaaay !!!

It's to bad that a limited few toot the 65 Horn as the holly grail,,, I've shot along side of few a folks that actually do pretty good with them... Purhaps this is due to lighter recoil & boolit weigth,,, of course some of these PRS shooters are pretty skilled,,, one would think that they could pull off the same with most mid size cartridges...

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, I'm looking for the lesser of recoil with the option of running lighter longer booltiz,,, that way I can set them just off the lands and hopefully get a good fight out of them down range...

The other option I had was the 270 Winchester,,, I've run them over the years and really wanted something different...

They are definitely a fun cartridge to work with as well,,, strange that there isn't a 270 dudes Web page,,, Ha...

Only time will tell since the 0.277 is really the closest measurement to 7mm then the 0.284... If I recall the 270 or 0.277 is 7.036mm,,, but I'm probilibly wrong as normal... Ha
No doubt the .270 is a fine cartridge. It just hasn't been picked up as an LR round and has very limited bullets available for the LR game. I think the 270 WSM would make a great LR option if there were more high BC bullets out there. Berger has a decent one in the 170 VLD. It just never took hold as a long range round. I love my .270 win as a deer rifle. Shoots 130s as good as any rifle I own. Never shot heavies as the twist isn't ideal. Again, just nobody built a good faster twist rifle for heavier bullets and the lack of those bullets hasn't allowed it to make it into the game. Couple guys I know shoot the Berger 170s in 9 twist custom LR rifles and they DO shoot. They run with any 6.5 or 7mm with the same case size easily. If Hornady and Nosler jumped into the .277 heavy low drag game, MAYBE a few more guys would jump on the band wagon. Just don't see it making it in this 6.5, 7mm world today.

Thompson center makes a 243 that looks promising.

Except it's a 10" twist... I went thru this same ordeal and wound up looking hard at the 6mm creedmoor just for the simple reason that no one puts a twist in the 243 to handle heavy bullets. Ruger and Remington use a 9" twist, but that's as good as it gets for factory rifles.

Except it's a 10" twist... I went thru this same ordeal and wound up looking hard at the 6mm creedmoor just for the simple reason that no one puts a twist in the 243 to handle heavy bullets. Ruger and Remington use a 9" twist, but that's as good as it gets for factory rifles.
I think the remmy is actually 9.125. I can't even stabilize 105 Amax bullets. Time for some 8 twist factory barrels

Yes to the tinfoil hat,,, I hear messages from outer space telling me,,,

"""Don,,, buy a 6.5...""" Ha...

That and continue chasing Kows while riding my Shetland pony... """Glick Glick,,, giddy up little pony,,, the Kows are getting awaaaaay !!!

It's to bad that a limited few toot the 65 Horn as the holly grail,,, I've shot along side of few a folks that actually do pretty good with them... Purhaps this is due to lighter recoil & boolit weigth,,, of course some of these PRS shooters are pretty skilled,,, one would think that they could pull off the same with most mid size cartridges...

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, I'm looking for the lesser of recoil with the option of running lighter longer booltiz,,, that way I can set them just off the lands and hopefully get a good fight out of them down range...

The other option I had was the 270 Winchester,,, I've run them over the years and really wanted something different...

They are definitely a fun cartridge to work with as well,,, strange that there isn't a 270 dudes Web page,,, Ha...

Only time will tell since the 0.277 is really the closest measurement to 7mm then the 0.284... If I recall the 270 or 0.277 is 7.036mm,,, but I'm probilibly wrong as normal... Ha

"They are definitely a fun cartridge to work with as well,,, strange that there isn't a 270 dudes Web page,,, Ha...", What you talking about fool !!!!!!?????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think that was "Mr. T's" favorite saying; I think I just dated myself. There's still a few of us with a good following on the forum. Just built two .270 Ackley Improved rifles, spent the day Sunday breaking in barrels and fireforming cases. Although we were shooting parent cases in the rifles, it was shooting surprisingly well and quite flat; and....we just got started with them. I acquired a Ruger 77 out of an auction on Gunbroker, actually was an accident, but got it very cheap. When I started shooting the rifle I could not believe how accurate it was and the light recoil. I always wanted to have a wildcat, talked with a few forum members who had written that they had .270AIs and really liked them. From there is it was downhill for us; my son and me. I "thought" that being a .270 Winchester that brass would readily be available, but it's not. I just got a notice yesterday from Midway stating the back ordered Norma .270 Winchester brass (3 moths ago) was in for around $87.00 for a 100 pieces. I think that they are too busy making 6.5 Creed brass instead; it's a conspiracy I know it!! I'd just bought a 100 pieces from Nosler, so we are working with Nosler brass for a while; not scrapping what I already have for a while. I have found that getting set up for wildcat cartridge reloading is not a cheap date, but.....we're getting there.:(:rolleyes:

You did not go back and read my earlier posts. If you want to discuss the topic then #513, #533 and #543 are my posts earlier in this thread. I put out an idea backed by numbers and what I get back is opinion. I am happy to discuss my point backed by numbers. Happy to hear where you disagree with my numbers.
You put forth an idea that is completely false. The 7RM is flatter shooting than the 06 period and doesn't require an ounce more gear to shoot to four hundred yards than the 06, the opposite is true.

You put forth an idea that is completely false. The 7RM is flatter shooting than the 06 period and doesn't require an ounce more gear to shoot to four hundred yards than the 06, the opposite is true.[/QUOTE
Exactly what particular point that I put up is false?
Exactly what particular point that I presented is false?

The 7RM is flatter shooting than the 06 period

No one ever said it didn't. You're beating this guy up over a claim he didn't make. The point was, that for someone using the mpbr method the 7mm's advantage amounts to yardage a longbow could cover. I don't understand how people can't comprehend what's written. No one will argue that the 7mm is better out there, his point was about sub-400 hunting.

All I know is every year there is guys filling freezers with old fashioned cartridges like 270, 25-06, 30-06 and even 30-30s. Every year there's also a lot of guys choking with the latest and greatest 6.5 or 28 Nosler cartridges. Good scouting, calm nerves, and a steady rest is more important in hunting than a ballistic chart on a piece of paper or the number stamped on the barrel of the rifle.

To get back to the topic at hand. I just have not seen posts from 6.5C fans on this site or others that claim the cartridge has any magical properties. Its a nice target round ala the 308 and a good hunting round ala 6.5-55. Maybe I just have not read any over the top claims for the 6.5C. In that case the issue is with novices that don't fully appreciate the Creeds place relative to other rounds not the 6.5C.

To get back to the topic at hand. I just have not seen posts from 6.5C fans on this site or others that claim the cartridge has any magical properties. Its a nice target round ala the 308 and a good hunting round ala 6.5-55. Maybe I just have not read any over the top claims for the 6.5C. In that case the issue is with novices that don't fully appreciate the Creeds place relative to other rounds not the 6.5C.
I have only ever heard one person make a ridiculous claim about the 6.5 Creed. That was at a gun shop and was quickly corrected. That's my experience yet the haters come out in waves and claim they hear claim after claim. Maybe the haters hang out with dumb ppl or believe second hand stories?

All I know is every year there is guys filling freezers with old fashioned cartridges like 270, 25-06, 30-06 and even 30-30s. Every year there's also a lot of guys choking with the latest and greatest 6.5 or 28 Nosler cartridges. Good scouting, calm nerves, and a steady rest is more important in hunting than a ballistic chart on a piece of paper or the number stamped on the barrel of the rifle.
One sentence here..."Long Range Hunting Forum". People here LOVE shooting long range targets that breathe. It's not a short range hunting forum. Agreed, many of game have been taken up close with every imaginable cartridge out there. No 30/30 is making an 800 yard shot in a game animal .

I can only speak for myself and what I hear CM owners comment about their personal rifles. I've said it before and being a CM owner it's simply true. Nothing it can't do that most other 6.5s can. It fits this forum perfectly shooting 1000 yards across canyons and hitting baseball size targets. It fits better in a hunter or shooters arsenal that doesn't reload than many other cartridges. What it doesn't do is BEST most other 6.5s which is certainly what I have heard come from many CM shooters. The razzing of the CM definitely started out as just that...Razzing. Not sure today as it's become almost a rivalry. Kinda tired of the BS now. We're all in the same club here. We all shoot and love shooting whatever suits our needs. For me, I just like messing with buddy's that shoot their 6.5 CMs against my 260 or 6.5-284. It's all in fun. We screw around all the time. In the end, it's fun and we even wager on shots or hits on ground hogs. We use deer rifles for this as we will be more familiar when in deer country using them. Nobody wins in the end really. We both have perfect set ups for what we do. Mine fits me and his fits him. No arguments on who's bullet works better or performed better. No BS about my .260 killed better or my .270 couldn't shoot that rock way out there at 700 yards. I know what these cartridges can do and what they can't do. It's a matter of fact. What isn't a matter of fact is that the people here bashing certain cartridges don't have a real reason for it. It's just something to do. It's on every forum out there. It's even at ranges. There's a lot of articles in magazines out there putting the 6.5 CM in front of the .260 performance wise. That is really what IMO started this whole CM bashing. It's just not true. Again, it's a matter of fact. I own both and have pushed both to the extreme. The .260 wins...period. Who cares. I just think it began with the 6.5 CM vs .260 Win. The guys that know the facts, shouldn't be the ones bashing the CM. Facts prove the articles wrong. Range results prove the articles wrong. The CM I built was for a buddy that doesn't reload. Perfect for his needs. He hunts more than I do. Buys factory ammo and hunts everything with it. Antelope, mule deer, wolf, elk, bear and varmints. He's going on a moose hunt next year and asked me if he should use it. Of course I said not only NO but F_ _ _ _ No ! He has an 06 and .280. Either one of those would be fine. My point is, he's killed so many animals with the CM that he would use it for anything he hunts. Obviously the other two may be a bit better option this time. No reason to bash the CMs. In fact I'm building a 22 CM once my 22-250 Ackley is burnt up. It just makes better sense IMO for me.

I have only ever heard one person make a ridiculous claim about the 6.5 Creed. That was at a gun shop and was quickly corrected. That's my experience yet the haters come out in waves and claim they hear claim after claim. Maybe the haters hang out with dumb ppl or believe second hand stories?

I was buying reloading supplies at Murdoch's last weekend and overheard the gun counter guy tell the shopper that the Ruger American in 6.5 hempsandal was a magnum rifle and just about on par with a 7mm mag....in his opinion.

Got my bullets and primers and got out of there before I became infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.