Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
S
For my personal preferences I have more appropriate options in that situation. In the previous post I am speaking based off of my self imposed limitations. Im not going to tell anyone what to do, to many situational variables & they have their own idea of what their limitations are.I have had 4 270s, two short mag & two standard. My 147 grain & 2950 will ballisticly out perform a 270 130 or 150 in most cases. This is why I sold my 270wsm. If a fellow can twist a Berger 170 enough in a 270, it's a different ball game. If all I had to hunt elk with was a 6.5 creedmoor, I would be trying to find my limitations and it's terminal limitations on elk within a distances of around 400 yards & closer before taking pokes at much farther distances. I am not a master a judging the wind, so in my case I have to remind myself that a shot through the shoulder is possible. That is where my particular 6.5 would need to be evaluated terminal wise. I shot a medium to small doe through the shoulder @ 465 yards back last November. The bullet mushroomed perfect. Bullet stopped just under the hide on the off side shoulder. I was pretty happy with those results. So I now have to ask myself if that was an elk instead of a small white tail. Would I have been just as pleased? It's anybody's guess, but I really think the would have been more chance for unwanted results. But, to answer your question, yes I prefer my 6.5 147 setup over my old 270 130 or 150gr set up. That being said, I am biased towards 7mm but even being biased towards it I will honestly say that the terminal performance of a 30 cal when compared apples to apples out performs the 7mm. I want a cartridge that allows the largest margin of error that I can comfortably shoot with in reason if I intended to kill elk with it. There's probably not one cartridge that is perfect for everyone.
I didn't intend to shoot the doe through the shoulder with the 6.5, it was crossing an opening about 50 yards wide. I couldn't get it stopped, so I added some lead to my aim. It ended up being too much lead, so through the shoulder it went. Just an example of my personal need of margin for error. I'm sure there are lots better shooters out there than I who doesnt need as much margin for error.

Last edited:
I had similar situation @ 350 yards, 8 mph wind coming dead from the right, buck headed dead towards the right. He never stopped. 300 win mag 180 sst and I didn't lead the shot at all. Can you guess where that shot ended up?

I can wait til they make a 6.8 CR
cartridge. From what I have gleaned off the web of info and misinformation, ...It has been understood that gunpowder burns more efficiently in shorter casings that have a wide diameter. Add a 1:8.5? Twist and long throat, 26 inch barrel. 165 grain low drag bullet...? Special tip. In an AR type platform for special purpose. Polymer case or no case? The base is the primer...All you see is little discarded discs all over the range.

Yeah!!! I would never own a a barking on track hound. If it ain't a good ole silent running cue dog then ....

Sorry wrong forum where we bash a person'a choice. Gun, cat, truck or dog. So many I get confused.

Really the same guys post the same stuff. Just search. Really old but give me a fast trailing cur any day. RIP Mik. You made me a hog hunter!!!

I don't think that anyone is bashing anyone, just messin with them.............;):eek::rolleyes:

In his A--.:cool:
Too far back, near his guts. It put him down. He stuck his head back up out of the sage & I was able to get a round thru his neck. I like to shoot steel targets at distance and it's necessary to practice for hunting at long distance and a good confidence builder but my steel targets don't go in rut, they don't move around & chase does without stopping, they don't go nocturnal for all but three weeks around rut. My steel targets are always there where I want them to be and give me plenty of time to shoot. Field experience has taught me that I'm not perfect. I've got things to work on & consider. I need to know my limitations and I need some margin for error. I don't like to lose an animal and I especially don't want it out there suffering for hours or days. I know there are better marksmen out there than myself but it's easy to get over confident shooting steel targets and end up botching a shot at a lesser distance in the heat of the moment. I'm not bashing any one, just saying I have learned from my own mistakes.

Not that I'm criticizing anybody for shooting a moving deer at 4+ football fields BUT I've yet to shoot a walking deer beyond 250 yards. Not that I haven't had my trigger finger on the trigger on some 800 + yard deer walking, I just know what the end result could be. Just not worth it really. I'm good on relaxed standing or feeding deer but walking has me a little concerned with a wounded lost animal. I've lost some with ideal shots at ranges much closer. Again not criticizing as you guys know what makes you comfortable. That range with walking deer doesn't make me confident or comfortable.

That range with walking deer doesn't make me confident or comfortable.

I hear ya. But there are a ton of Natty Bumppo's on shooting forums.

Last edited:
I hear ya. But there are a ton of Natty Bumppo's on shooting forums.
I'm just not that good to know where that deer will be once I pull the trigger at those ranges. Even deer at rest can move but with much much less odds of it happening. I can live with those odds. I've never had an incident bite me in the *** yet from that scenario. With my luck tho, a walking deer is an accident waiting to happen.

Lol
I hope I get a tinfoil hat with my 65,,, its a stand alone thing you know. Ha

Caution when shooting during a Thunder Strom.
Lol, I worked with a fellow who said the tinfoil hat would keep you from being brain washed by the frequency that the government was sending out.
I'm just not that good to know where that deer will be once I pull the trigger at those ranges. Even deer at rest can move but with much much less odds of it happening. I can live with those odds. I've never had an incident bite me in the --- yet from that scenario. With my luck tho, a walking deer is an accident waiting to happen.
I hesitate to even mention this because it sounds like a tale but my son shot a buck in a pretty good trott chasing a doe @ 137 yards when he was 8 years old. He was shooting off of a bipod. I told him to aim way out ahead of the buck& when his shoulder met the center of the cross hair to pull the trigger. It worked & ended up center of the lungs.

Yes to the tinfoil hat,,, I hear messages from outer space telling me,,,

"""Don,,, buy a 6.5...""" Ha...

That and continue chasing Kows while riding my Shetland pony... """Glick Glick,,, giddy up little pony,,, the Kows are getting awaaaaay !!!

It's to bad that a limited few toot the 65 Horn as the holly grail,,, I've shot along side of few a folks that actually do pretty good with them... Purhaps this is due to lighter recoil & boolit weigth,,, of course some of these PRS shooters are pretty skilled,,, one would think that they could pull off the same with most mid size cartridges...

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, I'm looking for the lesser of recoil with the option of running lighter longer booltiz,,, that way I can set them just off the lands and hopefully get a good fight out of them down range...

The other option I had was the 270 Winchester,,, I've run them over the years and really wanted something different...

They are definitely a fun cartridge to work with as well,,, strange that there isn't a 270 dudes Web page,,, Ha...

Only time will tell since the 0.277 is really the closest measurement to 7mm then the 0.284... If I recall the 270 or 0.277 is 7.036mm,,, but I'm probilibly wrong as normal... Ha

Yes to the tinfoil hat,,, I hear messages from outer space telling me,,,

"""Don,,, buy a 6.5...""" Ha...

That and continue chasing Kows while riding my Shetland pony... """Glick Glick,,, giddy up little pony,,, the Kows are getting awaaaaay !!!

It's to bad that a limited few toot the 65 Horn as the holly grail,,, I've shot along side of few a folks that actually do pretty good with them... Purhaps this is due to lighter recoil & boolit weigth,,, of course some of these PRS shooters are pretty skilled,,, one would think that they could pull off the same with most mid size cartridges...

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, I'm looking for the lesser of recoil with the option of running lighter longer booltiz,,, that way I can set them just off the lands and hopefully get a good fight out of them down range...

The other option I had was the 270 Winchester,,, I've run them over the years and really wanted something different...

They are definitely a fun cartridge to work with as well,,, strange that there isn't a 270 dudes Web page,,, Ha...

Only time will tell since the 0.277 is really the closest measurement to 7mm then the 0.284... If I recall the 270 or 0.277 is 7.036mm,,, but I'm probilibly wrong as normal... Ha
start a old dude's 270 page and I will join in.
"the true 7mm" ? :-?
if I was to buy a long range target rifle I think I would go 6.5 or maybe 243.
Thompson center makes a 243 that looks promising.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/207358

Status
Not open for further replies.