Ok I am not a big fan of the 6.5 Creedmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you saw the thread about my father's neck you may already know but we ended up getting him a 6.5 creedmoor. My 12 year old shoots one and it's a great round for sensitive recoil scenarios and whitetail out to 300 for us.

*I'm really only adding to this to keep the thread going.

The boolit manufactures are so close to passing the .700 G1 BC mark,,,

https://bergerbullets.com/product/270-cal-170-gr-eol-elite-hunter/

The good old 270 mighty be the real Creed since its the closest thing to 7mm,,, ok 7.03mm... That is if we use the .277 diameter reading...

The necked down 30/06 case launches them pretty good,,, of course there is the 270 Weatherby Mag will speeds things up a bit...

270/338 Rum might be the rocket launcher platform if one of the manufactors decide to take the plung,,, of course we won't know until that happens...

My friend is running the 6.5/300 Weatherby's,,, talk about fast 147gr booltiz... Ha...

My build won't be any thing close to his velocities that his rifle is putting out,,, no matter what we do in the world of 65,,, things seem to still work out... At least we hope they do... Ha

if you saw the thread about my father's neck you may already know but we ended up getting him a 6.5 creedmoor. My 12 year old shoots one and it's a great round for sensitive recoil scenarios and whitetail out to 300 for us.

*I'm really only adding to this to keep the thread going.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am glad things are working out for your Dad and your 12 YO.

Yes, the 284 rocks,,, I had 2 of them in my collection many years ago,,, but it was all about the 300's back then... Ha... My second runner up was my simple 338 Win Mag...

It seems like yesterday,,, I actually carry a 7mm Remington case in my pocket,,, it reminds me how small my 30/06 is,,, perhaps this lucky charm makes me buckle down when it comes to getting booltiz into the V ring or onto the iron gongs at 100 on out to 1400+ yards...

Darn long reach for my Ought-6 little lone my 308 Winny... LOL... I still think the booltiz are hitting side-ways. Ha...

I know that my medium/ large 65 will reach out there so long as the Colorado winds with 14 ish MOA don't drift those leads off target,,, I should say North of the 49th along the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountain Range,,, its not uncommon to see 40 to 60 mpr clippers rolling throw the lower valleys... The Elk are sometimes faster then the winds at times. Ha

And good on you TM,,, glad to hear that you found a rifle that will work for the family,,, my nephew is pretty excited about his new buy,,, its a 308 for now,,, but it will be a 65 when the re-barrel thing happens,,,.he's all about predator control and the odd outing with us for freezer food... Up close and personal with 160gr round nose... Ha

It's long distance shooting and critter scouting time next week,,, 20 to 28 days of touring the mountains glassing for good time... Each of us get our own mountain range to """Not""" Find what we're looking for... Ha

That's what it's all about in our world,,, to far to see little lone shoot...

Last edited:
Yes'er to the long roads of endless,,, Who-da thunk that I'd Sloooooowly fit into the medium size bore cartridges as time passes by... Life changes happen when we least expect it,,, for those of us that are restless in a ever changing world...

I look back at my loooooong gone friend that switched to the mighty 6mm in the 1970's,,, the shooting community thought he'd fell off the wagon and damaged his pumpkin,,, actually this is what happen...

His body was shutting down,,, so he bought a heavy weigth varmint 6mm then added a hand made Cheery Wood prone TR stock,,, it softened the recoil and put him back in the game,,, lots of predator control along with endless White tails and Muleeee' Deer... Head shot Moose and a few chunks of lead into the draw-works of Elk... His little 6 allowed for a few more years of good times until and industrial accidents claimed his living spirit,,, sad that he booked out early in life,,, but glad that he shared life full bore with his family and many friends...

He deffinatly showed the upper class that the little engine that could was hard at work hanging horns on the shed,,, Ha... A farm full of horns and critters that he enjoyed going after,,, don't get me wrong since alot of them were captured with his big 308 and his 30/06 along with the 35 Whelan,,, but the last two grain'erys were fillings from the 6...

I'll never come close to his gatherings,,, but he left behind the spirit of getter done with what you have in hand... A true sportsman to the core...

Lots of the old timers remember him well in our area,,, I was his young friend back in the day... Purhaps it's his Legacy that I get to share in the years to come... Boots to fill and mountain valleys to hike... Kind of like the quest of good times when it happens...

Yes,,, gong banging is just about as much fun as rattling the Wrapper of fur on the critters. LOL

The trick for us to is to close the gaps and hammer down on the wild hooved beast of the forests... Them and the sharp toothed predators that chase them down,,, all good no matter what irons we hold,,, 243's on up to the 408's of each person's liking's,,, of course I'll be in the category of small bore dudes this year with the gals,,, Ha...

No,,, my camo hunting gear is olive,,, not pink like the guys say... Ha

I picked up my Contour 2.8 medium barrel yesterday,,, then dropped it off to get fitted,,, the build should be in my hands in the next few weeks... Oh Yha...

Good times are on the way...

I'll post some photos later. Custom build number 2,,, then I'll do some touch up work on the first unit,,, small stuff to sort on it...

The shooting range North of the 49th was full of mixed rifles this weekend,,, roughly 1/4 of them were 65's,,, d@m they shoot good,,, medium case capacity,,, lighter boolitz,,, and 6 1/2 to 13 lb rifles with different weigths in-between... Good times fore sure...

There's no bragging rights at our range as its all about common goal with like minded folks,,, its the mix between cartridges and booltiz along with """ranging & wind reading""" skills that shows results down range,,, its challanging for folks to keep pace with my 16 ton land cannon since it stays well planted,,, that and my on going drive to jump from target to target as I try my best to compete against my self only...

Actually its 3,,,, I,,, Me,,, & My Self,,, it has nothing to do with what others are doing since the front line is all that's in my zone at set-up time...

Watching the flags if there / there,,, taking in the drifting mirages as I try to add a value to them,,, left to right or flat line,,, the worst ones for me are the head or tail winds,,, Ha,,, good thing for the wind meter...

It was 30 cal range day this weekend,,, soon to be the 65 when its done,,, same old same,,, a fraction less recoil but the environmental conditions still need my input,,, no getting around it since its always been our job to steer the booltiz...

This weekend was lots of missed V rings since I was working on shooting form,,, trying to keep it the same with dry fires and live rounds in the mix...

Sometimes I do better with both eyes closed... LOL

So point blank +3/-3 for you 3100 fps VLD 168 out of 26 inch barrel drops a foot at 400 yards vs 24 inch barrel 06 with the old Sierra 180 BTGK at 2800 fps of a 1 foot and six inch drop. Both shooters need to get a good 400 yard read and both need to adjust their holds so all that Mag velocity at 400 yards means nothing. You need to know your yardage, you need to adjust meaningfully for your hold over and energy for both bullets is good enough to do the job.
Good lord man give it up. You were wrong when you started this and you haven't improved any.

Status
Not open for further replies.