OK.....I am a believer. 308/RL-17/208 AMAX = sweet spot

I had a fellow on this forum run Quickload for my 06 with RL17 and a 200 grain accubond. At 54 grains I was running 2712 FPS from a 22" barrel and Quickload estimated 65KPSI. The quickload velocity estimate was very close to my actual velocity so I think its estimate it was pretty close. I decided not to run the charges any higher since I like to limit my pressures to around 65K.

I would think a 308 with 4" more barrel would run similar velocities to an 06 at similar pressures. I would also mention that the MSDS sheet for RL17 indicates 17 is different than the other RL powders chemically so I would not draw any conclusions about the temp sensitivity of 17 based on the the other RL powders.

I have been very impressed with how clean it burns and it seems to meter better than RL22 or 4350 has for me.

I would think this is going drive further inovation in powder performance by other manufacturers in the near future.

Great to hear those results Michael be sure to post your results when you get some groups shot.

hey if the recoil is a bit to much there is a thing called a muzzel brake.but not feeling some recoil you feel like you are shooting a 22lr.but hey glade to see sone one else other than the guys are snipeshide trying R17 and a 208-210gn bullet.

soon as I can get some I will be testing with a 210gn berger BT.and yes I will keep ya'll up to date on the results.

If Michael is referring to competition as far as F-Class or some other forms of competition muzzle breaks are not allowed, not sure the rules as far as bench rest though. Looking forward to seeing the results of the 210's

If Michael is referring to competition as far as F-Class or some other forms of competition muzzle breaks are not allowed, not sure the rules as far as bench rest though. Looking forward to seeing the results of the 210's

That is exactly what I am refering to. For my practice rifle and hunting rifle the recoil is very managable but 2 days worth of shooting 40-60 rounds would suck. Since there are no muzzle brakes allowed in matches, the 260, 6.5x284 and 7mm-08 seem much more user friendly. From a hunting standpoint, of the 260, 7mm-08, 6.5x284 and 308, the 308 running the 208 at 2650-2725 FPS is unbeatable for wind, retained velocity and energy.

I will be at the range later after work and will have some actual groups to make some real notes. I will be running 48.0, 48.5, and 49.0 grains at 3.015" just touching the lands.

M

OACL is 3.015" in a 26" 1:11x barrel.

I tried it in QL just for fun. QuickLoad predicts 2,698 fps, you had 2,717 - the difference of 19 fps is just 0.7% which is phenomenally close to what you are getting. The pressure predicted is 67,524 psi which might not show pressure signs in a well chambered rifle. It's over by ~7,000 psi but that might not be noticable.

Fitch

Ive been wanting to try an F-Class shoot and have been reading up on them they seem like a lot of fun and great practice for the hunting off season. The 208 and Rl 17 would be my first pic to for competition just by looking at the wind bucking abilities. I also wondered how hard it would be as far as recoil for about 60 shots and if the shoulder could take it. It would be nice if the recoil could some how be managed more effectively through a rigged jacket or something.

yes I know the muzzel brake cannot be used in a match.but it would help out running a test or sighting in before a match.this way one would not have to have a good start on a black and blue shoulder before the match.LOL

and it was just a thought for the guys.for me I will be testing for a good long range hunt'n load.so the recoil want be that big of a deal for me.anything farther that 500 I will just use the 300wm.

but I will all so test R17 in it.just to see if its going to be something to use or not.

Michael, thanks for posting. Pretty nice info.

Definitely something that goes on my personal data base. :)

I just got back from the range. The groups were not as good as I had hoped however, this whole proccess has only just started. I can still say that I am highly encouraged. I tried a different primer today and the velocities were identical but there was a very slight crater around the primers. Bolt lift was normal and the brass was normal. I used the Federal Gold Medal Match 210. Yesterday I was using the CCI 250 magnums.

First I shot the 48.0 loads. These measured 2661, 2661 and 2662 FPS. Unfortunately they grouped 1.1 MOA. Next the 48.5 load was 2686, 2704, 2680 FPS. On the bright side, she grouped right at .4 MOA. Next the 49.0 grain load. 2714, 2719, 2734 FPS and again, 1.1 MOA.

I will be trying several different primers such as the gold medal 215 magnums, CCI BRII's, and CCI 250 magnum. I tried the gold medal 210 today. Hopefully there will be a powder/primer combo that will shoot lights out. I know where the velocity is, now I just have to find the accuracy!

Unfortunately I only have three of the 208's left. I used most of them when I had the 300 RUM. More are coming soon.

Last edited:
Michael

I'm in the process of trying Re 17 in my 7-08. Started at 43.0 gr under the 162 Amax, got up to 45.5 grs with no pressure signs. Have loaded up another test from 46.0 to 48.0 grs which is just about as much Re 17 as I can get in the case. Have not chronoed these loads yet but the groups were just starting to look impressive at 45.5.

Chris

I ran across this Alliant Manual from another website and was amazed to find the new Power Pro powders from Alliant are listed as 100 FPS faster than RL17 at nearly every bullet weight listed and the fastest powder overall in the light and heavy bullets.

Alliant Reloading Manual

If these powders keep coming Magnums might be a thing of the past.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.