208 Amax penetration

I heard they might blow up at close range on deer and the like, so I lined up 4 milk jugs and shot them at point blank range. Estimated impact velocity was 3000 fps. It sliced through the jugs leaving no fragments.

only thing ive recovered some parts of bullet from is a clay termite hill i shot @ 300m from a 300WM @ 2900fps... the jacket was all i found, peeled right back to the base, looked like it had splattered all over the place... theyre a pretty fragile bullet i believe...

I heard they might blow up at close range on deer and the like, so I lined up 4 milk jugs and shot them at point blank range. Estimated impact velocity was 3000 fps. It sliced through the jugs leaving no fragments.

I've had impact velocities on whitetails that exceeded 3,000 ft/sec with the 162 A-Max. Shoulder shots left deer DRT. Lung shots left silver dollar size holes and deer that never went more than 20-30 yds. I have no complaints.

I can only assume that the 208gr A-Max would work even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.