Oh No!!! I ruined my barrel with a bronze brush!

Nice video
I guess you can get hundreds of different views on cleaning the bore of your rifle. Brush, not brush, solvents, patches.
My picture will let you know my view.

Attachments

• Bore Brushes.jpg
    Bore Brushes.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 218
I've tried it all as I suspect many of you have. About 12 years ago I went all Tipton carbon fiber, use rife specific polymer bore guides and nickle plated Tipton jags with quality flannel patches. I remove carbon first with Hoppes #9, using a bronze brush when needed. For copper I use Wipe Out non-ammonia copper solvents (foaming and liquid). Once done I leave a light coat of Hoppes #9 in the bore and chamber. If the rifle will be stored for longer periods I use a light coat of Ballistol in the bore and chamber. Yes, all pretty old school less the Patch Out/Wipe Out. I do have other products like Sweets 7.62, Kano Oil with polish media and bore sized felt pellets in hand. But those largely occupy shelf space these days. The above meet all my needs less for lead removal from cast bullets. For that Wipe Out Lead Out is used post carbon removal and when needed I use a caliber specific Lewis Lead Tool (Brownell's).

It's ruined because it's now polished!

I've never worried about that or the crown either. If you didn't damage the crown at the angles you were running with the drill, it's pretty unlikely you'll damage it with any type of rod pulling back through the muzzle and little to no angle.

I've tried it all as I suspect many of you have. About 12 years ago I went all Tipton carbon fiber, use rife specific polymer bore guides and nickle plated Tipton jags with quality flannel patches. I remove carbon first with Hoppes #9, using a bronze brush when needed. For copper I use Wipe Out non-ammonia copper solvents (foaming and liquid). Once done I leave a light coat of Hoppes #9 in the bore and chamber. If the rifle will be stored for longer periods I use a light coat of Ballistol in the bore and chamber. Yes, all pretty old school less the Patch Out/Wipe Out. I do have other products like Sweets 7.62, Kano Oil with polish media and bore sized felt pellets in hand. But those largely occupy shelf space these days. The above meet all my needs less for lead removal from cast bullets. For that Wipe Out Lead Out is used post carbon removal and when needed I use a caliber specific Lewis Lead Tool (Brownell's).
Almost exactly the same thing I do!!

Thanks for PROVING "it ain't the brush." I read on this forum that folks using stainless steel brass polishing balls will sometimes neglect to make sure all are out of case before loading, (maybe a couple get wedged together in the bottom of the case) . Load, shoot, = scoring lines in bore.

Per Kenny Jarret - the #1 reason Not to use bronze brushes is that they show copper/blue from the brush when you go to patches. It's not like the bronze is actually scraping crud from the bore. After my discussion with Jarret, I switched to nylon and found what he said to be true.