Offensive advertising on LRH

Fox Hunter

I don't post a lot here on LRH but I do very much enjoy reading what folks around the country and occasionally from other parts of the world have to say about everything related to hunting, shooting, reloading and anything related. I also see that number of ads on the website are relative to one's location thanks to 'computer cookies' and IP addressing. For instance, in my case here in NY State (I'm about 75 miles north west of NYC), there have been ads for property and vacation getaway destinations in upstate NY for the past couple of weeks. Since my wife has been buggin' me about getting away somewhere, I've actually looked into something through these ads. These are not what what has bothered me.

What does break my trigger is a new ad showing up on my screen in the last couple days advertising for the NYPD entry exam. While I couldn't give a hoot about who takes the test or otherwise, what does bother me is this organization and particularly its leadership, including the police commissioner and the Mayor of NYC are one of the greatest threats to our rights as hunters and firearms owners. Before I continue, let me say I have nothing whatsoever against law enforcement and the officers around the Country who do the job everyday without question. The leadership within the department and the city, the backward laws NYC insists on enforcing and twisted way they interpret existing laws has my attention. I could also rant a little about The State Legislature and such but I'll reserve that for another time.

For those who may not be aware, NYC Mayor Bloomberg provides the money and leadership for an organization called MAIG, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. This Mayor is extremely outspoken for complete gun control. He sees no difference between the hoodlum with a stolen gun and the law abiding citizen who owns firearms legitimately. This same mayor recently expressed his 'outrage' as to why police around the country don't go on strike unless his visions of gun control are put in place. I don't know about elsewhere in the country but here in NY, The Mayor is suggesting the officers do something illegal to meet his agenda. Within NYC any gun ownership is severely restricted without a mountain of red tape for anything including air guns, IF you could get it at all. Don't even think about travelling through NYC and carrying your legitimate firearms as permitted by Federal law. If you are stopped and they are found, you will be unpleasantly detained.

I find it ironic that the NYPD is advertising on a site such as this, considering their background. I'm also now of the mindset to be a vocal as possible about the assault on our individual rights. Afterall, this is a tactic used by many to promote other agendas, now they can listen to my point of view. This is why I feel the need to write this today.

Is there a way to block a particular ad from one's computer yet still be able to see everything else on the site? As a law abiding owner of firearms, I'm going to take offense to having to pay for the electric power consumed in displaying this type of content. I take offense at the source of the advertising and the way they have apparently slipped in the back door. A better solution would be to have the advertising removed, period. I would very much like for LRH to be about hunting, shooting, the outdoors and everything related. Thank to all who have worked to this end.

Thank you for hearing me through.

Most of the ads you see here are being "served" to the site via Google etc, rather than being paid advertisers on the site. Often ads will be served based on users web browsing history etc.

Tip of the day.

Let your wife use your computer to shop for some loungerie or intimates. All I see are pretty girls in their underwear on these ads. :D

Life is good!!

Jeff

Tip of the day.

Let your wife use your computer to shop for some loungerie or intimates. All I see are pretty girls in their underwear on these ads. :D

Life is good!!

Jeff

That must be why I have been seeing the Victoria Secret Ads! Nice, maybe we're getting something new! :)

Have a little fun with them - click on the AD and go to the site. In nearly every case, you will be costing the person who posted the AD some cash when you click on it, probably in the $1.50 range or so.

I agree, Bloomberg is a first class ***.

It's called a click through BTW.

Running and hosting a site like this isn't free. There are many hidden expenses incurred.

Users don't see that, only the forum owner.

I'm Takin' Broz' tip! ... Nahh better not. The next time she uses the computer, I'll be in hot water for makin' the underwear ads pop up. :rolleyes:

If it would cost them for each click, is there a script somewhere that would click and close then recycle every second or two? I'll put that on every computer I could find. :D

Lastly, I understand some of the advertising is an automatic process and that it costs money to do just about anything today. It's ironic that the most anti-gun city places ads on a site like this.

ANd just in case it hasn't been said, a sincere Thank you to those who put this site together and keep it going!

It's called a click through BTW.

Running and hosting a site like this isn't free. There are many hidden expenses incurred.

Users don't see that, only the forum owner.

In this case Len Bakus and I suspect his IT. I say 'suspect' because Len is my age and most folks my age are regarded as slightly to mostly computer illeterate.:)

I have an IT I pay to manipulate my site....

Here's a good one for you. I read through this thread yesterday getting some good chuckles (thanks broz) & continued on with my day.

So I jump on this morning & what do you know, bras & panties advertised... you can't make this stuff up! WTH? I didn't google or bing or yahoo any of that stuff (I wouldn't look very good in that:D)...

Not that i'm complaining of course...

gun)

Unfortunately for us shooters living in the armpit states, we are under constant attack by morons like Boomberg; in my state, Massachusetts, Governor Duvall. If it wasn't for the NRA and particularly GOAL, Gun Owners Action League, we would be restricted from owning a slingshot without a background check and permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.