OCW thoughts....

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what chronograph are you using. I have a magnetospeed, so when I do OCW tests, I'm afraid it will alter my POI to much. So I leave it off until I've found my charge, then load up several and put the magnetospeed on to see what I have, velocity wise.

Alternatively, I've done velocity nodes only with the magnetospeed to find loads as well. I don't have enough experience to say which one I like better yet. Sorry to derail the thread. To get it back on track, I agree with the folk who recommended 45.7 to 46.1 to investigate further.

Ya do the best you can with Ya got. B2B Precision puts out a great target for bullet seating, scope check, etc. And it is designed for 100 yards. Most of us have easy access to a 100 yard range, 200 and over, not so much.

IMHO It is another tool in the reloader's handbag on the path to accuracy.
It is another tool...no better, no worse than others. However, not necessarily the most appropriate for every goal and situation.

All are free to use or ignore as they wish.
It is the "ignoring" part that gets hard. Proponents of this method don't seem to accept that too well.

My understanding is that it IS a widely accepted method for finding the optimum load for a specific round in a specific rifle.
"Widely accepted" has no definitive value. Widely accepted among whom? Who took that poll? Where was it published?

The perceived "vehemence" might just the desire to share!
Thier "desire to share" seems to very often, and fairly quickly, devolve into name calling and accusations to those that don't fall in line and praise thier wisdom and knowledge.

That alone tells me there is more to it than that.

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but what chronograph are you using. I have a magnetospeed, so when I do OCW tests, I'm afraid it will alter my POI to much. So I leave it off until I've found my charge, then load up several and put the magnetospeed on to see what I have, velocity wise.

Alternatively, I've done velocity nodes only with the magnetospeed to find loads as well. I don't have enough experience to say which one I like better yet. Sorry to derail the thread. To get it back on track, I agree with the folk who recommended 45.7 to 46.1 to investigate further.
I have a competition electronics prochrono.... not high end but does the trick

I have a great load with the 168gr smk & a good one with the 168gr eld-m..... but that **** scenar I cant get away from, it just shoots at distance, I'm talking milkjugs at 900! Crazy stable bullet.... but the SMK actually shoots better 100y groups, for now😉
If you are planning on 1000 plus, drop the 168 smk. That was a 300 meter bullet and normally goes unstable and tumbling about 900. I have been in the pits at 1k and they always tumble and keyhole.

Hey guys, I reshot these loads with 5 shots each..... heres the groups and velocities........ what's everyone's opinion on these? Which looks the best if ya had to choose?
20200521_163151.jpg

No, 1 of them I know was me.... hell if they were that would be a no brainers for sure
Repeat that load making sure the brass is as close to the same as possible seating depth is perfect and allow plenty time between shots

Repeat that load making sure the brass is as close to the same as possible seating depth is perfect and allow plenty time between shots
Exactly, it was full body sized and seating depth was within 0.002".... neck sized only and closely watched seating depth might yield a pretty decent group

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.