OCW Help!!

What distance were these shot? And have you done a seating depth test?

The seating depth will change your es results significantly. I would prob go with load 1 and play with the seating depth in small increments.

These were shot at 200yrds and no I havent played with seating depth yet. Also, I'm at .002 neck tension. Is this correct?

my current load...

ADG brass
CCI 250
90.5 H1000
CBTO 20 to 60 thou off the lands
SD 3, 4, 5
ES 7, 8, 9
Ave 2856
.3 and better group size

at 20 thou off I run it single shot
at 60 thou off I run it in my Wyatt 4.0 mag

also I get crazy ES in any gun I run too hot.

for example... 7mm08 42.4 varget was screaming at 2860 .5 groups es all over the place. I backed it off just south of max 40.6 SD 2 ES 4 .2 group size

338 EDGE

91.5 .2890 zone 2 .4ish groups ES 21 38 42 etc

backed it off . and bam it's solid numbers are above in previous post

Try the OTM's 15 IN the lands. A 338 edge with 300 grain Berger between 2800-2850 is going to shoot. I run the Elite Hunters and have very good accuracy. Buddy runs OTM's and has to jam them .015 into the lands and they shoot tiny..

Try the OTM's 15 IN the lands. A 338 edge with 300 grain Berger between 2800-2850 is going to shoot. I run the Elite Hunters and have very good accuracy. Buddy runs OTM's and has to jam them .015 into the lands and they shoot tiny..

I'm just the opposite I'm jumping 20 & 60 thou and get single digit SD & ES with 2856 ave fps see my first post

I must admit I haven't run this over the chronograph but I don't much care. My 338 Edge will shoot .375 inch five shot groups with the following load:
Nosler 300 RUM cases stretched to 338, no annealing, Federal Match 215 Magnum primer, 88 grains H-1000, Barnes 280 grain TTSX seated to COL 3.805 which is .050 off the lands of a Broughton barrel.
This is my load for my rifle. Just sayin.

I usually ignore groups when doing the OCW, once I get the velocity nodes I like, then I do the seating bullet dance. I normally end up sacrificing some moa grouping@100 to get the best ES I can.

No I don't anneal every time, I do select my remington brass, and also use either sierras match kings or berger otms, only cci 250 around. Also use H1000, tried many other powders with no luck.

From Mexico, Joe

Today I did some shooting g to figure out a good OCW load. But the load that looked good on paper was terrible with ES. I am shooting a .338 Edge with H1000 and .300 otms at .15 off the lands. Which load do I go with and how do I lower ES?[/QUOTE

Berry,
Try backing off your powder charge....I know 2800+ is the norm for the Edge but read my previous posts to you I give some first hand experience why you maybe seeing wild groups and ES.

With a 28" barrel you maybe pushing to hard to reach the 2850 zone and your barrel is trying to tell you it can't get there by showing inconsistent groups and ES.

Also be sure you are actually off the lands...not saying you aren't but I had an Edge once show your numbers, early in my reloading days, and it had zero freebore even though the well known builder swore his reamer was in spec. So I kept loading to his CBTO and was waaaayyyy into the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.