OCW thoughts....

I have 1:12 twist in my Remington and I have tried them, but could only get them shoot .8-.9 MOA. I switched to Bergers and able to improve on my MOA. Good Luck on your test, overall I like the Scenar line and had very good results with them in other firearms.
I have a great load with the 168gr smk & a good one with the 168gr eld-m..... but that **** scenar I cant get away from, it just shoots at distance, I'm talking milkjugs at 900! Crazy stable bullet.... but the SMK actually shoots better 100y groups, for now😉

Looks like a .308 from his postings. I don't really think we have to know the cartridge given the data he shared. You can interpret his findings without knowing any other details than the information on the target in my opinion.
Good eye Jud .....

I have a great load with the 168gr smk & a good one with the 168gr eld-m..... but that **** scenar I cant get away from, it just shoots at distance, I'm talking milkjugs at 900! Crazy stable bullet.... but the SMK actually shoots better 100y groups, for now😉
I understand, I shoot matches from 300 yards out to 1000 yards and maybe it's just me, but the SMK's seem to shoot better out to 600 yards and the Bergers are better from 600-1000 yards. Of course it maybe just the loose nut that is behind the trigger.

I understand, I shoot matches from 300 yards out to 1000 yards and maybe it's just me, but the SMK's seem to shoot better out to 600 yards and the Bergers are better from 600-1000 yards. Of course it maybe just the loose nut that is behind the trigger.
What your saying I've found is precisely the norm.... btw, my avatar was shot with a 1-12 twist remington with factory loaded 155gr scenars that I pulled the bullets and re seated them further out.....

It seems your question has yielded a variety of answers, what do you think is the best starting point for charge testing? I ask because like your groups mine typically have a similar POI and everyone seems to be inquiring about velocity.

Last edited:
It seems your question has yielded a variety of answers, what do you think is the best starting point for charge testing?
It seems 45.7-46.1 might be a solid reshoot with 5 shot groups to confirm so I'll shoot those 3 shot groups with 5 rounds in the same manner and see what the chrono shows and go from there, but I think that's where it will be..... the chrono is a priceless tool for load development because it shows the most detailed window.
Then I'll load up the best from the 3 and shoot couple 5 shot groups focusing on accuracy......
Then do it again with the brass only neck sized......
Then I should have it nailed!.... hopefully lol.... I'm a reloading nerd that's OCD so this never stops for me lol

It seems 45.7-46.1 might be a solid reshoot with 5 shot groups to confirm so I'll shoot those 3 shot groups with 5 rounds in the same manner and see what the chrono shows and go from there, but I think that's where it will be..... the chrono is a priceless tool for load development because it shows the most detailed window.
Then I'll load up the best from the 3 and shoot couple 5 shot groups focusing on accuracy......
Then do it again with the brass only neck sized......
Then I should have it nailed!.... hopefully lol.... I'm a reloading nerd that's OCD so this never stops for me lol
I know the feeling, it's easy to become obsessed with it. A group or ES could likely always be improved, it's just a matter of when we say that it's good enough for it's intended use. I rely heavily on my Oehler for load all but I need to see a groups vertical spread to align with the chrono before I settle on it. Not sure where I read it at, it may be in the OCW write up on Mr Dan's site but I like having a charge weight that shoots similar to its next charges tested and that makes me feel like there is some wiggle room with the barrel harmonics not being extremely sensitive at that weight.

I'm curious as to what folks are truly referring to these days when they refer to OCW.

Perhaps it is implied in everyones' posts, but Dan Newberry (creator of OCW) has always emphasized POI group centers and measuring shift of this POI center from group to group. I have not seen these measurements or points references in this thread. (aside from Plowboy85 above)

OP—can you mark the POI group centers of each group and repost the photo then? That should be telling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.