NXS zero stop problem

Bigcat_hunter

Ok so I have just changed my load and my bullet impact is a couple of inches higher now. So I remove my cap and unlighted the zero stop screws but the clutch simply won't move. Any thoughts?

Never had one do this. My thought are:

Make sure the screws are loose but do not completely remove them. After loose you should be able to rotate the center shaft (either flat screw driver or allen wrench) in both directions and you should feel the detent clicks.

Clutch might just be stuck. try to gently rotate the center shaft with the appropriate tool.

Jeff

Never had one do this. My thought are:

Make sure the screws are loose but do not completely remove them. After loose you should be able to rotate the center shaft (either flat screw driver or allen wrench) in both directions and you should feel the detent clicks.

Clutch might just be stuck. try to gently rotate the center shaft with the appropriate tool.

Jeff

I did take an allen wrench and moved the center shaft a little. I could hear clicks but wasn't sure if that was actually moving the turret or not (moving point of impact).

Well I tried it again. When I move the center shaft clockwise I can feel the light clicks but when I turn it counter lockwise it just moves the whole turret.

The proper way to zero is to loosen the 4 screws. Then using the tool to match the center shaft (flat blade or allen) turn the center shaft until you have the rifle zeroed. Then , rotate the zero stop clutch clockwise until it stops. Tighten the 4 screws making sure not to allow the center shaft to move. Replace the turret cap, turn to align with zero, and tighten the 2 allen cap screws.

If you are not getting clicks when you turn the center turret shaft with a tool in both directions with the 4 screws loose then something is wrong and I recommend you call Nightforce for advice.

Jeff

Are you 100% sure your are not at one end of the elevation adjustment?? Maxed out in that direction?

Is this an EGW base?

Jeff
If I was maxed out in one direction, the clutch should freely move in the opposite direction if the screws are loose right? With the screws loose, I move the clutch (in the up direction) and I can hear the clicks so it is moving the turret.

I sure don't think I'm maxed out.

Well I tried it again. When I move the center shaft clockwise I can feel the light clicks but when I turn it counter lockwise it just moves the whole turret.

So when you turn the center knob counter clockwise it turns the whole turret, including the clutch assembly? If you turn the whole thing out a few rotations, tighten the clutch allen head screws down, then sight the gun in by moving just the center turret clockwise, wouldn't that be how it is supposed to work? Then you loosen everything off and move the clutch back down?

No, the zero stop clutch is stuck. It won't move freely at all if you loosen the screws. It just either moves whole the turret up in elevation or bottoms out at the zero stop. I think I need to call night force.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.