Zero problem !!

dirtboy

Myrifle30-378009-1.jpg

I had a rail made, a low pro file 0% to mount on top of another rail. I thought I would have plenty of play to zero my scope on target. I am 7 inchs high at 15 yrs. I had to bring it that close to get it on the paper. The previouse rail was a .40 on a weatherby.. How come I'm not even close to zero, or is there something I dont know about the scope. I have only about 4-5 clicks left to go to get me in the right direction, but thats not near enough..

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!..lol!

Why are you using that scope on a shotgun? Maybe purchase a scope made for slug hunting. I believe they make standard mounts that will fit the browning gold hunter, that would probably ease your troubles

Myrifle30-378009-1.jpg

I had a rail made, a low pro file 0% to mount on top of another rail. I thought I would have plenty of play to zero my scope on target. I am 7 inchs high at 15 yrs. I had to bring it that close to get it on the paper. The previouse rail was a .40 on a weatherby.. How come I'm not even close to zero, or is there something I dont know about the scope. I have only about 4-5 clicks left to go to get me in the right direction, but thats not near enough..

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!..lol!

I would take it off and check the thickness at each end with a Micrometer.

If it is accurate +or - 2 or 3 thousandths then you have to start over zeroing the weapon

.010 thousandths difference would make a huge difference in elevation. Also don't bother checking it at less than 100 yards.

Get a large piece of paper (At least 4'x 4') and place a target in the center of it. run the
elevation turret all the way up and then all the way down counting the clicks. (Dont turn
the turrets hard when you reach the stops) Next count 1/2 of the clicks up and stop.
(this should center the scope).

Next fire the weapons and with the weapon held where it won't move. and with the cross
hairs in the center of the target, move the scope to the bullet hole.

J E CUSTOM

A couple of suggestions...if the screw holes line up you may try reversing your spacer mount to see if there is some built in elevation in it. The next option is to try to slip a small shim under the back of the cantilever mount. I've found that many cantilevers tend to bend and shoot way too high. Also remember that when you get out to 100 yards you will have quite a bit of drop so high at 15 yards is not an uncommon thing. Try it out at 50 yards and hold low to see just how high you are there.

Good luck with it. Nice scope btw...wish I could afford it for my rifle. My shotguns just get by with a cheap Nikon.

Your problem is that the Browning Gold was not designed to shoot arrows and the ICS hunters are not very accurate out of a shotgun. :D

Seriously, the receivers of many rifles and probably a lot of shotguns are not level to begin with.

Get you some Burris signature rings with inserts.

@ Pyroduck. Well I this was on my rifle, so I figure why buy another scope I just have a rail made for my slug gun and considering slug guns aren't the flattest shooting this I have adjustments. Plus I think it looks fricken cool..:cool: It does give me something to do. I tend to think a scope is a scope in genral. This is overkill I agree, but I love the quality of the glass. when My dad is shooting his (slug gun) scope and he cant see the impact on paper at 100 we look threw my scope to see where it hit.

@ J E Thanks I will try one more time I dont think its as bad as what I thought. I'm about 5'' at 15 yrds on 1 ftx 1ft paper I will get bigger peice and try at 50 and 100. The rail is equally space with the factory rail. The guy who made it for is also seeing what could be the problem. minor set back, nothing not fixable. Once set I think thiis would it would be fun

Thanks for everyones thoughts, I will post back once I get it figured..lightbulb

Well i finally got to take the slug gu out for a second round of testing. Turns out its was the rest I was shooting off of wasn't tight it must of cause a bounce when I shot..lol! When I shot it this time I ended up the oppissit. I shot over a foot to low. Anyway It shots about 2 inches high at fifty yards now and I have still have over 12 mils of play each way. gun)Amazing how much a bad rest can screw your day up...lol

Me either. It is ment for my carbon fiber 30-378. I just had a rail put on so I didnt have to buy a another scope. It is a kinda crazy on a slug gun, but it looks cool..lol! It was a $150 dollar investment to make mure use out of a $3500 scope. It's really makes more sense to me. I get to use it for rifle season and 2 moths of shot gun season here, More bang for the Buck..lol!

Wow, beautiful scope. I can't bear seeing it on a shotgun though!!!

That is the most over glassed shottie around for sure!

Why not buy a 200 dollar top of the line slug scope again? Did you spend all your money on the S&B? :D

@ Lapua guy. Thanks! No I didnt spend all my money on S&B, just most..lol! I dont think their such a thing as overglass. In case you didnt read the post prior to this. This scope ment mainly on my 30-378 thats on my profile pic. I just had a Pic. rail done so I could use this scope and my other guns if I want. It saves me $$$ beings already own this scope to be able to transfer it to another gun, The rail cost me $150. As far as the $200 scope I would never buy a scope that of that quality again. I owned Leupolds at one time and got rid of them all. I was on 3 diffrent whitetail deer hunts between NC SC. A had deer/boar at last minute of light a few diferent times on the hunt setting along the woodline. That I could seefine by eye, but the scope could not. Everthing just seemed to blend right in. Maybe I got bad eyes compared to everyone who will say thier $200 sluggun scope is as bright as daylight 24hrs a day. Not in my case. Anyway for me the lesser quality scopes cost me 3 yrs wasted in outtastate hunts + about $2,000.00 per hunt = an unhappy hunter. Needless to say I dont have that problem No more.:cool:

I hear people all the time say buy the best optics you can afford.. I'm dont hear any complaints about 10x $2,000 Bino. That you can find a 10x for $100..lightbulb

@ Lapua guy. Thanks! No I didnt spend all my money on S&B, just most..lol! I dont think their such a thing as overglass. In case you didnt read the post prior to this. This scope ment mainly on my 30-378 thats on my profile pic. I just had a Pic. rail done so I could use this scope and my other guns if I want. It saves me $$$ beings already own this scope to be able to transfer it to another gun, The rail cost me $150. As far as the $200 scope I would never buy a scope that of that quality again. I owned Leupolds at one time and got rid of them all. I was on 3 diffrent whitetail deer hunts between NC SC. A had deer/boar at last minute of light a few diferent times on the hunt setting along the woodline. That I could seefine by eye, but the scope could not. Everthing just seemed to blend right in. Maybe I got bad eyes compared to everyone who will say thier $200 sluggun scope is as bright as daylight 24hrs a day. Not in my case. Anyway for me the lesser quality scopes cost me 3 yrs wasted in outtastate hunts + about $2,000.00 per hunt = an unhappy hunter. Needless to say I dont have that problem No more.:cool:

I hear people all the time say buy the best optics you can afford.. I'm dont hear any complaints about 10x $2,000 Bino. That you can find a 10x for $100..lightbulb

No, no, I read it. THat is why I askeddid you spend all the dough on the scope, obviously in jest.

I agree you put the best glass you can buy on a rifle. But a shottie?!!! :D

More power to ya. I am sure S&B would love to see you pic. I don't think the market much to the slug hunters. They may give you a finders fee for opening a new market for them!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.