NX8 on a long action?

Idgunner

I have a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 on order that I was originally going to put on a Savage model 10 in 223 that currently has a Burris XTR ii on it. In the meantime I've purchased a Savage 112 BVSS in 25-06 which is a long action. It occurs to me that the NX8 would be put to better use on the 25-06 BVSS than the 223. The NX8 has 5.7 inches of tube length available for scope rings with the shortest tube length on the front end of the scope. The BVSS has individual scope mounts that are about 5 1/2 inches apart so I'm wondering if I will be able to mount that scope on the long action and get proper eye relief. Now I'm thinking about the possibility of using a one piece scope mount with an action cut out BUT the BVSS has an internal box mag so my question is, will there be adequate room to load the mag with a one piece mount on the action? Thanks in advance.

We have seen some instances where folks using short scopes and either two piece bases or direct mount rings having trouble with long actions. Normally the best choice is a one piece picatinny rail. Just gives you move mounting flexibility.

We have seen some instances where folks using short scopes and either two piece bases or direct mount rings having trouble with long actions. Normally the best choice is a one piece picatinny rail. Just gives you move mounting flexibility.
I appreciate the reply. The 112 BVSS has an internal blind magazine. Will a full scope rail affect access to load and unload the mag?

You'll have a little less space to work with. I'm not familiar enough with that particular rifle to say exactly.

The 4-32 might be fine, the spacing issues we've seen with direct mount rings are normally with the 2.5x20 models. I would certainly take the time to measure everything out.

You'll have a little less space to work with. I'm not familiar enough with that particular rifle to say exactly.

The 4-32 might be fine, the spacing issues we've seen with direct mount rings are normally with the 2.5x20 models. I would certainly take the time to measure everything out.
My research so far tells me that I can mount a scope rail and still have access to load the mag, albeit a little tight. Chuck season is upon us in Idaho and I have a pair of 223s that are perfect for medium range chucks out to 450 yards so I will just concentrate on shooting chucks until the NX8 arrives.
One of the 223s has a Burris XTRii and the other has a Vortex Viper PST gen 2. Both are very nice but I really like the Burris.

I thought I would provide an update in case anyone is curious.

The factory stock, while beautiful, is too small for me and causes the muzzle to jump up and right in an out of control manner that affects accuracy. Looking for a replacement I went with a Choate Tactical Custom mostly because it resembles the two Boyds Pro-Varmint stocks that I have on a pair of 223s and the Choate has an adjustable butt plate and an aluminum bedding V block. I had to remove the stagger feed blind mag on the Savage action but I figured out how to fill the mag well with a block of wood that I cut down and routered the top to make it fit. It is now a single feed rifle that works smooth as glass. Oh I also had to use my Dremel tool to remove a bit of stock material that was blocking the bolt release lever. I've got the butt adjusted to where the recoil is now almost straight back and it makes bug holes.
The scope rail for the Nightforce stock is not an issue at all. Especially since I converted the action to a single feed.
Right now I'm working on load development for chuck season. Test loads with Hornady 75 grain V-Max and Nosler 85g Varmint Ballistic Tips stack bullets into a hole at 100. I have more of the Noslers on the way and I was able to snag a box of Berger 115gr VLD Hunting bullets, can't wait to try those although they are too pricey to use on just chucks.
All in all, I'm pleased with the mods, the scope and the way this rifle is turning out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts